A baby duck, often made of rubber or vinyl, is an iconic bath time toy in the Western culture. You probably had one and feel your baby needs one too. But with a sea of choices on the aisles, how to decide which is the best for your bundle of joy?
The advancement of science and studies conducted on bath time toys have shown that not all toys are safe for the baby. Read on to find what to consider before buying a baby duck. Alternatively, click on the links below and check the most popular models on the market.
|Nuby 10-Pack Little Squirts Fun Bath Toys||$$$|
|Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub and Bath Ducky Set||$$$$$|
|Yeonha Toys Floating Bath Toy 4-Pack||$$|
|Large Yellow Duck Bath Toy for Toddler and Baby||$$$$|
|Rubber Duck Family Bath Set||$|
Back when we were young, a baby duck was one of the few bath time toys available on the market. This can explain why it became popular in the first place. Yet, the rubber duck maintained its popularity for a reason.
Rubber ducks are simple toys designed to engage the imagination of the babies. There are many games to play with baby ducks that go beyond bath time. Here are a few reasons why your baby needs one.
- 1 Why A Baby Duck
- 2 How To Have Fun With A Baby Duck
- 3 What To Consider When Choosing A Baby Duck
- 4 Best Baby Duck For Your Bundle Of Joy
- 4.1 1. Nuby 10-Pack Little Squirts Fun Bath Toys
- 4.2 2. Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub and Bath Ducky Set
- 4.3 3. Yeonha Toys Floating Bath Toy 4-Pack
- 4.4 4. Large Yellow Duck Bath Toy for Toddler and Baby
- 4.5 5. Rubber Duck Family Bath Set
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Why A Baby Duck
With a host of bath toys available on the market, a question that might pop up is why choose a baby duck? Simple! This iconic toy invented in the nineteenth century is popular all over the world. It has no gender, no cultural ties, and certainly no race. It is a toy for everyone.
The simplicity of this toy ensured its success over the years. And in fact, rubber ducks are so popular that almost everywhere in the Western world are organized rubber duck competitions and events. There is even a rubber duck in the Hall Of Fame, while rumors suggest the Queen of England holds a crowned rubber duck in her bathroom.
While the design of baby ducks remained almost unchanged over the years, some manufacturers improved their toys with LED lights that create playful light games in the water. Then, there are educational bath ducks that come with several features designed to entertain babies and toddlers and promote the development of fine motor skills.
And if you’re wondering why rubber ducks are yellow, or why we call them baby ducks, it’s because a rubber duck isn’t supposed to be a full-grown duck. The original design portrays a duckling, a fact that explains both the color and the way we call them.
How To Have Fun With A Baby Duck
Traditional baby ducks are simple rubber or vinyl toys designed to float in the bath tub. At a first glance, they may seem annoying, yet babies have loads of fun with them. Why? Because babies and toddlers use their imagination to create play scenes and sceneries.
As a parent, you can encourage imaginative playing and stimulate your baby’s curiosity by proposing fun baby duck games both in the bath tub and during the day.
For example, if the baby duck has a hole, you can fill the toy with water and teach the baby about buoyancy. Or you could create a baby duck story to play throughout the day. This will stimulate your baby’s creative thinking and teach her about good hygiene practices.
Apart from these examples, there are dozens of ways to use baby ducks before, during, and after a bath. Moreover, you can associate play with baby duck books which can make a perfect bedtime story.
What To Consider When Choosing A Baby Duck
All baby ducks are cute, but not all of them are safe. That’s why you should consider a few things before investing in the first one you see.
Original baby ducks are made of rubber, a natural material safe for babies. However, many manufacturers make their baby ducks of vinyl, which might be harmful to the little ones. Therefore, before buying the toy, check if it’s baby-safe. It should be BPA, phthalate and lead-free.
We said lead. While it might not be involved in the manufacture of the rubber or vinyl, it might be present in the dyes. Most baby ducks have painted beak and eyes. It’s better to stay on the safe side and check that the toy is free of all harmful chemicals.
Among the newest materials used to make baby ducks we can also mention silicone. This is usually food-grade silicone safe for the little ones.
Baby ducks are available in all sizes but not all are suitable for infants and toddlers. Babies have the most fun with toys they can grab, so make sure the baby duck has the right size to fit tiny hands. As the baby grows, pay attention whether the toy can become a choking hazard and replace it with a larger version if you feel it might pose any risks.
A baby duck has a classic design, I hear you say. And that’s true. But as most bath toys, some rubber ducks have a hole on the bottom and maybe a whistle. While these design details are fun for the baby, they are not exactly safe. Stagnating water inside the toy may promote the development of mold and bacteria, which can be harmful.
If you still want to buy a whistled model, make sure you empty the toy after each bath and let it dry. Or you could simply choose a model with no holes, no whistle, and no worries.
Best Baby Duck For Your Bundle Of Joy
1. Nuby 10-Pack Little Squirts Fun Bath Toys
A baby duck is more fun when it comes to friends, and the Nuby 10-Pack Little Squirts Fun Bath Toys is one of the most popular assortment to consider. The toys are made of soft rubber and have a squirt water design that ensures bath time playfulness.
The toys are designed to improve baby’s hand-eye coordination and encourage imaginative play. Moreover, you’ll also be able to teach the little one names of animals. This set includes, besides the baby duck, an alligator, penguin, turtle, starfish, octopus, dolphin, fish, crab, and shark.Check Price on Amazon
Each toy comes in a different color and all characters squirt water when squeezed. While this means loads of fun for the baby, it also means a hassle for the parents. Mold is often an issue with these toys and they are a hassle to dry.
Yet, if you want to entertain your baby with squeezing toys, you can simply replace them every two or three months. Alternatively, use a hot glue pistol to seal the hole and solve the problem.
Things We Liked
- Colors: these bath time toys are brightly colored and playful. They are suitable for babies from six months onward.
- 10 characters: this set is designed to promote imaginative playing and develop hand-eye coordination. It includes a traditional baby duck and nine sea animals.
- Fun: all toys squirt and float. Moreover, the toys blow bubbles under the water providing even more bath time fun.
- Size: all toys are perfectly sized for infants and toddlers. They are easy to grab, maneuver, hold, and squeeze.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Mold develops into the toys because of their design.
2. Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub and Bath Ducky Set
When bath time is more of a hassle than a pleasure, you could change your little one’s mind by bathing her in this playful inflatable tub. Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub is shaped like a large baby duck and it comes with a baby duck toy for even more fun.
The tub is designed for the safety of the baby and comes with a convenient white hot safety disc that indicates whether the water is too hot. In fact, the blue disc turns white if the water is too hot. Furthermore, the inflatable design makes this tub perfect for travel but also for many other purposes.Check Price on Amazon
The bath tub is designed to fit babies between 6 and 24 months and many parents found it a great aid in the baby tub to regular tub transitioning.
As for the toy, the rubber ducky has a classic design and is watertight to prevent sinking, squirting, and mildew.
Things We Liked
- Set: this convenient baby duck bath tub and toy set is cute, playful, and attractive for most babies.
- Baby Duck: the toy is made of rubber, it has a watertight design and it comes with a blue disc that indicates if the water is too hot. The toy is perfect for all babies, including newborns.
- Versatility: the ducky tub is ideal for the transition from baby to the full-size tub but also for summer fun at the seaside.
- Easy to inflate: the tub is easy to inflate yourself or with a pump. Deflating requires minutes and the tub folds compactly for storage.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The tub comes with a suction cup which isn’t strong enough to hold the product while drying.
3. Yeonha Toys Floating Bath Toy 4-Pack
We have a true love-and-hate feeling about these bath time toys, but they are so popular that we couldn’t ignore them. At a first glance, they are traditional bath toys including a classic baby duck, a baby shark, an octopus and a frog. However, things change when these get in contact with water.
In fact, the floating baby toys are equipped with colorful lights which turn un and start flashing vividly when they touch the water. The lights turn off automatically when removed from the water, and this attracts babies and stimulates them.Check Price on Amazon
The toys are made of non-toxic and baby-safe materials; they come with batteries included and installed and are suitable for babies aged six months and up. According to the manufacturer, they are made to stimulate baby’s senses, and in most cases they do.
However, we can’t say we love them. The association of even slight electricity with water is concerning while in low light conditions, the toys have a rather disquieting aspect. These considerations apart, babies seem to love these toys and they surely make a nice addition to the bath time collection.
Things We Liked
- Set: these floating toys come in a set of four that includes a baby duck and three other animals. They have a cute design and vivid colors.
- Color changing lights: each toy is equipped with sensors that turn on vivid color-changing lights when they touch the water. This light play stimulates babies.
- Size: the floating animals measure about 3.5 inches and are perfectly sized to fit the tiniest hands. They are ideal for babies aged 6 months and up.
- Battery: all toys come equipped with batteries; the batteries have a long shelf life and last for a long time.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It’s not possible to change the batteries when they drain.
4. Large Yellow Duck Bath Toy for Toddler and Baby
Why said baby ducks come in the classic design only? While a traditional baby duck is a great addition to the toy collection, an interactive toy can bring even more fun for babies old enough to bathe in a full-size tub.
This interactive bath toy is designed for toddlers and develops the fine motor skills of the baby. The toy is 11 inches tall and has two suction cups that make it possible to fix the toy to a glossy surface. Then, by simply pouring water on the duck’s hat, the toy responds by opening the mouth and pouring the water out.Check Price on Amazon
Another thing baby love is the colorful wheel positioned in the duck’s belly and that spins when the toys pour out the water. Moreover, the duck comes with a friend, a little floating fish that adds more playfulness versatility to the bath time.
The toy is made of high-quality non-toxic plastic. It is 100% safe for the babies, while the choice of colors makes it a great fit for both boys and girls.
Things We Liked
- Design: combining the cuteness of a traditional baby duck with the versatility of an interactive toy, this bath duck entertains babies while developing their fine motor skills.
- Size: the toy is 11 inches tall, large enough for babies to have fun with and enjoy the splashes of water.
- Suction cups: the toy sticks to glossy surfaces thanks to the strong suction cups. This makes it ideal for bath time in a full-size tub.
- Lifetime warranty: concerned your baby will not like the toy? You need not worry! This toy comes with a lifetime warranty and you can simply ask for a refund if you’re not happy with the product.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The suction cups might not hold well on all surfaces.
5. Rubber Duck Family Bath Set
What’s better than a baby duck? A baby duck family. This set of four rubber ducks will become the bath time’s favorite, although sooner or later you’ll have to explain to the kid why momma duck didn’t turn white as grown-up ducks do.
Apart from this design flaw, the set is great for infants and toddlers. It includes a mother duck and three baby ducks. The mother duck is designed to float on water and hold the three ducklings. The little ducks are fun squeeze toys that squirt water or make underwater bubbles.Check Price on Amazon
The toys are made of phthalate-free vinyl and are safe for babies. But a thing we don’t like is the squirt toy design of the ducklings. As for some of the toys mentioned above, water can accumulate inside the toys providing a perfect medium for bacteria and mildew to grow.
A thing we like is the size of the toys. They are perfect for little babies to grab and hold. However, you should probably replace the small ducklings with larger toys as the baby grows.
Things We Liked
- Set: this rubber ducks family includes a mother duck that floats on water and three squeeze ducklings that provide bath time fun.
- Size: the small baby ducks have the right size for infants and young toddlers to grab, hold and squeeze them. They might pose a choking hazard for older babies.
- Material: the ducks are made of phthalate-free vinyl and are safe for babies.
- Easy to clean: although the three ducklings are squeeze toys, they are easy to clean with bleach to prevent mildew.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It may happen to receive the toys with design and manufacturing flaws.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the best baby duck for bath time is the one that comes as part of Munchkin White Hot Inflatable Safety Tub and Bath Ducky Set. This baby duck is made of high-quality rubber, it’s watertight, it doesn’t sink and doesn’t squirt.
This means no water can get into the duck, therefore mildew will never be an issue. Moreover, the duck is ideal for newborns, infants, and toddlers and has a blue disc that turns white if the water is too hot.
On the other hand, the duck inflatable tub is awesome. It’s easy to inflate and deflate, perfect for travel, but also perfect for infant tub to full-size tub transitioning. The shape and color are attractive and stimulating for the baby, while the tub is versatile enough to fit multiple purposes. According to us, a baby duck tub and toy set to consider.