The best way to provide nutritious meals to your baby is by making her food at home. But unless you’re planning to make the food at each meal time, you’ll also have to think about baby food storage. More precisely, about the right baby food containers to preserve your baby’s meals.
As a new mom, it might be hard deciding whether a container is suitable for this purpose or not. Read on to find out what options you have and how to choose the best baby food containers. Alternatively, click on the links below to check out our selection.
Weaning and food diversification is one of the most precious moments for both parents and baby. But this stage is also important from many other points of view. At this stage, the baby will discover flavors and textures and will also learn proper eating habits.
Most moms prefer making baby food at home for many reasons. For example, you’ll be able to monitor what your baby is eating, how the food was cooked, and most important, how the food was stored up to the mealtime. Let’s have a word about the various types of baby food containers and see how to choose the right ones.
- 1 Types Of Baby Food Containers
- 2 How To Choose The Right Baby Food Containers
- 3 Best Baby Food Containers For Homemade Food
- 3.1 1. WeeSprout Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouch
- 3.2 2. OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers
- 3.3 3. Mumi&Bubi Solids Starter Kit Baby Food Freezer Storage Trays
- 3.4 4. OXO Tot 12-Piece Baby Blocks Set
- 3.5 5. OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray with Protective Cover
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Baby Food Containers
Baby food containers come in a wide range of models, shapes, sizes, and materials. Although you could use virtually any clean and sterilized container to store baby food, experts advise using containers made specifically for this purpose.
Baby food containers are generally manufactured to hold the right portion your baby should eat at a time. Thanks to this feature, you will be able to reheat or defrost only the quantity you need and avoid wasting the food. Moreover, baby food containers are also usually certified to be free from harmful chemicals and safer to use for infants and toddlers.
Regarding the types of baby food containers, you can choose between:
- Freezer trays: freezer trays are probably the most useful in terms of storage. These trays are similar to the ice cube trays with the difference that each slot usually has the quantity of a portion, at least as far as infants are concerned. They are great to store larger batches of baby food for up to six months and, if you’re concerned about space, you can even put the food cubes in freezer bags once they are frozen.
- Plastic containers: plastic baby food containers are among the most popular types. They are easy to clean and hard to break. Plastic containers come with air-tight lids designed to keep the food fresh and they usually can be used both to refrigerate and freeze the food. The main downside is that they take up quite a lot of space in the fridge or freezer. Also, check that they are BPA, phthalate and lead-free before buying.
- Glass containers: glass containers are also popular and, in my opinion, they are a better solution if you’re only planning to store baby food for up to 3 days in the fridge. There is a wide range of baby food storage jars to choose from. The main drawback of glass is that it can break easily. Moreover, not all glass jars are suitable to be stored in the freezer.
- Food pouches: pouches are a great solution for toddlers and they can usually be used to store baby food in the fridge or freezer but also to reheat the food directly in the pouch. You can choose between disposable or reusable pouches, they occupy a little space in your fridge or freezer and toddlers will most likely have fun eating directly from them. However, most of the times they are a hassle to clean.
How To Choose The Right Baby Food Containers
If you think that a baby food container can be used from stage 1 to when the baby has fully grown, you might be wrong. Although you could do that, it is recommended to choose the right container based on your baby’s age. Let’s see what to consider.
- Type: for the first stage of weaning and food diversification, plastic or glass containers are the best. Both types of containers come in various sizes and are usually designed to hold up to two or three portions of baby food. When the toddler starts feeding herself, it is recommended to use food pouches, as the baby will make less mess. Freezer trays are recommended for all stages as a simple method to portion and store baby food for a long time.
- Material: regardless of the material you choose, you should make sure that the container is baby-safe. This means that it should be free of BPA, phthalate, lead, PVC, and any other potentially harmful chemicals. From this point of view, glass is the safest choice.
- Shape: when choosing a baby food container, make sure it has a simple design with no awkward corners where food can build up. Plastic and glass containers should have curved lines, and you should pay special attention to the construction of the reusable food pouches.
- Capacity: ideally, you should choose containers made specifically for the right stage of the food diversification. Homemade baby food can’t be stored in the fridge for more than 3 days and you’ll probably want to freeze it. Considering that once thawed you can’t refreeze it, using the right quantity will help you avoid wasting food.
- Cleaning: baby food containers should be easy to clean. The shape contributes to this, but you should also check whether the container is dishwasher safe or not. If you have to clean it by hand, make sure the operation is as simple as possible. Moreover, the containers should also withstand high temperatures in the case you want to sterilize them, for example, if you plan to also store breast milk in them.
Best Baby Food Containers For Homemade Food
1. WeeSprout Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouch
The Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouches by WeeSprout is a set of six reusable food pouches designed for both storage and feeding. They are ideal for toddlers who will have fun feeding themselves directly from the pouch but can be used for younger babies too, as a convenient food storage solution.
The pouches are easy to fill thanks to the double zipper design with a wide opening. The design also makes it easy to clean the pouches with water that flows through the zipper opening and out the spout. Moreover, the rounded edges of the pouch ensure that no food is trapped inside the container.Check Price on Amazon
These baby food containers are designed in the USA and made of high-quality materials that are eco-friendly and BPA, phthalate, PVC and lead-free. You’ll be able to reuse them over and over again, and they are also recyclable.
The pouches are available in several sizes and capacities and are ideal to store homemade baby food from stage 1 to stage 3. The manufacturer also backs them up with a 1-year hassle-free guarantee.
Things We Liked
- Options: the manufacturer proposes the WeeSprout pouches in three different sizes, or you can choose a convenient pack containing two pouches of each size.
- Freezer safe: the pouches are suitable to be stored in the freezer and on the back side it is possible to write the type of food and the date when it was prepared.
- Environmental friendly: the pouches are made of eco-friendly materials which are suitable for repeated use and they are fully recyclable.
- Easy to clean: the pouches are equipped with a wide double-zipper opening that makes them easy to fill but also easy to clean. They are also dishwasher safe.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The design of the pouches could be improved. It is hard to dry them after cleaning and the pouches don’t stay upright when filled with food.
2. OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers
OXO Tot Baby Blocks Freezer Storage Containers come in a convenient set of six blocks with a capacity of 2 ounces each. The containers are ideal for babies in the first feeding stages but they can also be used to hold smaller portions for older babies.
The containers are ideal for portioning, store, and freeze baby food but they can also be used to reheat the meals. Moreover, you’ll be able to use them as bowls too, and serve the baby directly from the container. The blocks are easy to clean and safe to use in the microwave.Check Price on Amazon
The OXO Tot containers are made of polypropylene, which is a strong and durable material. They are shatterproof and also free of harmful chemicals such as BPA, PVC, phthalate or lead. The rounded shape of the edges and corners makes cleaning a breeze.
To help parents keep track of each food, both the bodies and the lids are transparent. Moreover, you can use a washable marker to write the date and other baby food information on each container. They come with a convenient storage tray and are perfectly stackable.
Things We Liked
- Airtight: the containers come with lids that literally seal the contents. They are leak-proof and suitable to take with you on the go.
- Multipurpose: you can use the containers to portion and store baby food, but also to reheat and serve it when needed.
- Size: the containers are perfect for the early stages of feeding and have a capacity of 2 ounces. A larger version is also available for older babies and toddlers.
- Convenient: the containers come in a convenient tray designed to keep them organized in the freezer. Moreover, they are stackable, so you can make the most out of your space.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The lids are made of multiple parts and are hard to clean and dry.
3. Mumi&Bubi Solids Starter Kit Baby Food Freezer Storage Trays
The Solid Starter Kit baby food storage trays by Mumi&Bubi are a perfect solution if you want to store large batches of homemade baby food for up to six months. The trays have been specially designed for freezing and present many features and qualities you’ll love.
To begin with, the starter kit includes two trays with a total capacity of 42 ounces or about 1,2 liters. Each tray has 21 cubes and each cube has a capacity of 1 ounce, so it will be easy to monitor how much food your baby is eating and defrost only the required quantity.Check Price on Amazon
The trays are made of non-toxic, baby-safe virgin polypropylene and are certified to be free from BPA, PVC, and phthalate. Moreover, the trays are stackable and the cubes have a rounded bottom that makes it easier to remove the food when needed.
Regarding cleaning, the trays are easy to wash by hand and also dishwasher-safe when positioned on the top shelf. Suitable for babies of all ages but also for alternative purposes, these trays might be a great long-term investment.
Things We Liked
- Capacity: each tray has a capacity of 21 ounces, with a total capacity of 42 ounces of baby food. Thanks to the convenient 1-oz. cubes, you’ll know how much food to defrost at meal time.
- Recipe e-guide: the kit comes with an e-guide of 27 easy-to-make baby food recipes that should help you get started.
- Stackable: the trays are designed to occupy a little space in the fridge and they are perfectly stackable.
- Multiuse: once the child has outgrown the baby food stage, you can use the trays to make flavored ice cubes, mini popsicles, or to make soup stock cubes.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the trays are designed specifically for freezing food, they become fragile with the time and can break.
4. OXO Tot 12-Piece Baby Blocks Set
OXO is one of the leading kitchenware brands, renowned for the high-quality of its products. The OXO Tot range is a collection of baby food containers and toddler essentials designed to help parents deal with feeding and food diversification.
OXO Tot 12-Piece Baby Blocks Set is designed to bring convenience from the first to the last diversification stage and comprises two types of containers. In detail, the set has six small containers with a capacity of 2 ounces, designed for the early stages, and four containers of 4 ounces designed for babies older than 6 months.Check Price on Amazon
Each set of containers is conveniently stored on a tray, making it easy to store either in the fridge or in the freezer. In fact, the containers are suitable to store baby food and to freeze it, but also to reheat the food and serve it directly from the container.
Each container is provided with an airtight lid that prevents smooth purees or liquid foods from leaking. For this reason, the containers are also perfect to store breast milk in the early stages of life.
Things We Liked
- Convenience: you’ll be able to store baby food for all stages and use the containers as baby bowls regardless of the age of your little one.
- Options: if this set is not suitable for you, the manufacturer proposes a mealtime starter kit containing four 4-oz. containers with tray, a masher, a roll-up bib and a set of baby spoons.
- Baby-safe: the containers are made of polypropylene but are free from harmful chemicals such as BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
- Multipurpose: the containers are perfect to portion, store, reheat, and serve baby food. They are dishwasher and microwave-safe.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Colored foods, such as carrots, spinach, or sweet potatoes can easily stain the containers.
5. OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray with Protective Cover
If you’re looking for the perfect baby food freezer tray to portion and store food for the first stage of food diversification, then OXO Tot Baby Food Freezer Tray with Protective Cover might be the right one for you.
This baby food freezer tray has 14 cubes with a capacity of 0.75 ounces each, and a total capacity of 10.5 ounces. This is more than enough for the early stages and you can even use the tray when the baby is older, to portion his food in smaller doses.Check Price on Amazon
The tray comes with a patented lid that keeps the food safe from frostbites and that also allows you to take out as many cubes as you want, without taking the lid off. Moreover, the lid is designed to allow stacking multiple trays.
Regarding the material, both the tray and the lid are made of durable polypropylene which is baby-safe and free from harmful chemicals, such as BPA, PVC, and phthalate.
Things We Liked
- Innovative design: the tray’s lid is absolutely awesome. It is designed to release one cube at a time and you can choose how many cubes you want to release for your baby’s meal.
- Stackable: thanks to the lid’s design, it is also possible to stack more than one tray in a convenient and space-saving solution.
- Rounded cubes: the bottom of the cubes is rounded, allowing an easy removal of the baby food from the tray.
- Capacity: each cube of the tray has a capacity of 0.75 ounces, which will allow you to use the tray for much more than baby food once the baby has grown.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The sliding lid is awesome but it doesn’t seal the contents of the tray. Keep that in mind if the baby food is liquid.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Based on their convenience and popularity, we believe that the best baby food containers on the market are the Double Zipper Reusable Food Pouches by WeeSprout. This set of reusable food pouches is great not only for storage but also for feeding when the baby is old enough to hold his own food.
Moreover, the pouches take up a little space in the fridge or freezer and are suitable to hold all types of baby foods, including breast milk.
The containers are made of eco-friendly materials and are baby-safe. They don’t contain any BPA, PVC or phthalate.
Moreover, the pouches are easy to fill and wash thanks to the wide zipper opening. The double zipper, on the other hand, seals the content and prevents leaking.
Although the design could be improved, they are easy and convenient to use. Available in multiple sizes, we really believe you should give them a try.