One of the first concerns new parents have is how to provide safe rest to their bundles of joy. A baby sleep sack is a great alternative to a swaddle blanket, and more often than not, this option is safer. A sleep sack can even be used for longer since it leaves baby’s arms free to move.
But with so many products available on the market, how to choose the best baby sleep sack for your little one? Are all sleep sacks the same or should you look for a specific product based on the baby’s age? And why is it better than a swaddle blanket at first?
|Halo Sleepsack Swaddle||$$$$|
|Touched by Nature Baby Organic Cotton Sleeping Bag||$$|
|Ely's & Co Wearable Baby Sleep Bag||$$$|
|Hudson Baby Wearable Sleeping Bag||$$$|
|Hudson Baby Jersey Cotton Wearable Sleeping Bag||$|
When it comes to baby safety, the only satisfactory gear is the best of the best. Read this guide to see why your baby needs a sleep sack or, if you’re in a hurry, check out our top picks from the table below.
- 1 BABY SLEEP SACK VS. SWADDLE BLANKET
- 2 HOW TO USE A BABY SLEEP SACK?
- 3 HOW TO CHOOSE A BABY SLEEP SACK
- 4 BEST BABY SLEEP SACK FOR NEWBORNS AND INFANTS
- 4.1 1. HALO SLEEPSACK SWADDLE
- 4.2 2. TOUCHED BY NATURE BABY ORGANIC COTTON SLEEPING BAG
- 4.3 3. ELY’S & CO WEARABLE BABY SLEEP BAG
- 4.4 4. HUDSON BABY WEARABLE SLEEPING BAG
- 4.5 5. HUDSON BABY JERSEY COTTON WEARABLE SLEEPING BAG
- 5 CONCLUSION & FINAL PICK
BABY SLEEP SACK VS. SWADDLE BLANKET
Obstetricians, pediatricians, and even postpartum doulas often advise on the benefits of swaddling. In fact, a swaddle blanket contains the baby in an enclosed space. By providing boundaries that somehow recreate the womb conditions, swaddling helps newborns sleep better.
But almost no one mentions the negative traits of swaddling. To begin with, swaddling is only an option in the first trimester of baby’s life, and only until baby is able to turn while sleeping. This because once on the tummy, the baby needs free limbs to be able to turn on her back. Swaddling at this stage is dangerous and associated with SIDS.
But many sleep sacks are designed to leave baby’s arms free. They also leave the legs to move freely inside the sack, which minimizes the risk of hip dysplasia and other swaddling associated conditions.
Another advantage of the baby sleep sack is that it can be used for longer. Sacks come in various styles and sizes and can suit newborns and infants up to 12 months old. Toddler sleep sacks are also available if your baby likes this sleeping formula, or you can simply transition from sack to a sleepsuit or blanket.
In our opinion, a sleep sack is a much better option than a swaddle blanket right from the start. So, let’s see what to consider when choosing one.
HOW TO USE A BABY SLEEP SACK?
HOW TO CHOOSE A BABY SLEEP SACK
In broad terms, baby sleep sacks are either simple, with a vest design on the upper side and a sack that encloses baby’s legs at the bottom or completed with “wings” on both sides that enclose baby’s arms in a way similar to a swaddle blanket.
If you want to avoid the excessive movement of the arms in the first months after birth, the model with wings is more appropriate, and you can just wrap the baby’s chest when you want to leave the hands free.
Vest models are appropriate for babies older than two months and for all babies who’ve started to turn on their tummy during sleep. The ample leg room inside the sack and the free hands ensure full use of the limbs, allowing baby to turn on her back again and reducing SIDS.
Vest baby sleep sacks are also ideal for babies older than six months and toddlers, thanks to the loose fit.
Baby sleep sacks don’t come in the one-size-fits-all formula, and it’s essential to choose the right size for your baby. A too large sack would let the baby escape and poses SIDS risks similar to loose blankets. A too small sack is uncomfortable and can cause developmental issues.
All baby sleep sacks come with dimensions expressed in inches, and you can easily check which is the right size for your little one.
Like anything that comes in contact with the baby, what the sleep sack is made of matters. For the hotter months, choose a sleep sack made of cotton. This material is breathable and hypoallergenic and can be worn directly on bare skin if the temperatures are really hot.
In the colder months, flannel is a more appropriate choice, and it’s usually warm enough to keep baby at a comfortable temperature without overdressing her.
Materials to avoid include fleece and all synthetic materials, at least in the first six months.
The vast majority of sleep sacks available on the market have zipper closures, which are the best in terms of security. The models with lateral wings close with both zipper and Velcro. Snaps are an alternative version which is still secure and appropriate to use on newborn and infant garments.
However, stay away from baby sleep sacks that close with buttons. They can easily come loose and pose a choking hazard.
Another thing to avoid is a sleep sack with removable decorations and accessories. These include bows, ribbons, appliques, buttons, and anything else that the baby could tear away. And don’t assume that stitching will keep any decorations in place, because they won’t.
BEST BABY SLEEP SACK FOR NEWBORNS AND INFANTS
1. HALO SLEEPSACK SWADDLE
If you want to take advantage of all swaddling benefits combined with the comfortable use of a baby sleep sack, Halo has just the right product. The Sleepsack Swaddle is an excellent product that replaces annoying swaddle blankets but still provides soothing boundaries to the little one.
Coming in two sizes that accommodate babies up to 18lbs, the sack is made of 100% cotton and closes with an inverted zipper that ensures a quick and comfortable diaper change in the middle of the night. Two adjustable flaps on each side wrap the baby and immobilize the arms, preventing startle reflex in the first months.Check Latest Price
Easy to adjust in three ways, the sack adapts to the sleeping style of your baby and ensures an easy transition from swaddle to sleepsuits. This roomy sleep sack also allows a free movement of the legs, preventing hip dysplasia and associated conditions.
We also like the variety of colors and styles. Halo Sleep Sack comes in two styles, with or without the lateral flaps. For babies heavier than 18lbs and toddlers, the manufacturer proposes a series of wearable sleepsuits that accommodate toddlers up to 50lbs.
Things We Liked
- Versatility: this sleep sack can be used in three ways, either as a swaddle sack or traditional sleep sack.
- Fit: the comfortable loose fit in the hip and leg area allow the baby to move freely inside the sack and reduce swaddling associated conditions. The product is approved by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
- Choice: Halo Sleep Sack Swaddle comes in 35 colors and styles. All choices are fashionable and suitable for babies of both genders.
- Baby shower gift: the swaddle sack makes a perfect baby shower gift for new moms. Choose more than one style to make the mom happy.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The flaps are too long and could cause uncomfortable accumulations of fabric at the baby’s back.
2. TOUCHED BY NATURE BABY ORGANIC COTTON SLEEPING BAG
If you want to ensure arms movement right from the start, Touched by Nature’s sleep sack is a great product to consider. Made of 100% organic cotton and easy to clean, this sack is soft, breathable, and lightweight.
A comfortable fit minimizes constriction in the hip and chest area, while a zipper closure keeps the baby securely inside the bag. Natural fibers are ideal to use on all babies and don’t cause rashes or skin allergies, while the cotton fabric becomes softer and softer as you wash it.Check Latest Price
The top to bottom zipper design ensures an easy diaper change, and the manufacturer also proposes a fleece version of the sack, suitable for the cold winter months.
Another thing we like is the way this garment matches with other infant clothes. Coordinated with a range of pajamas, bedding, and accessories, these cotton sleep sacks are ideal to create a beautiful themed nursery.
Things We Liked
- Cute prints: made of 100% organic cotton, this baby sleep sack comes in various colors and styles, with cute prints inspired by forest animals.
- Softness: the sleeping bags are super soft to touch, and the cotton gets softer and softer as it’s washed. The product can be machine washed with baby detergent.
- Closure: this baby sleep bag comes with an inverted top to bottom zip closure that ensures an easy diaper change.
- Coordinated accessories: the sleep sacks match perfectly with pajamas, bedding, and associated accessories, looking adorable in a nursery.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The zipper’s quality leaves a lot to be desired.
3. ELY’S & CO WEARABLE BABY SLEEP BAG
Ely's & Co is another manufacturer of newborn and infant garments renowned for the quality of its creations. When it comes to sleep sacks, Ely's & Co has a few interesting proposals and the one we like best is the sleeping bag I Grey Stars characterized by a round neck with snap-tab and top to the bottom zipper.
The sleep bags come in a pack of two and are suitable for both boys and girls. The versatile grey matches all occasions and the stars sleep sack add cheerful playfulness to the set. But if you want other patterns and a more gender-specific choice, the manufacturer proposes two other sets that come in different colors and styles.Check Latest Price
The wearable sacks boast a safe and cozy design that creates a safe sleeping environment for the little one. This eliminates the risks associated with loose blankets, while the soft and comfortable cotton fabric is breathable and hypoallergenic.
Ely’s & Co wearable blanket is made of 100% natural materials and is machine washable. This simple care and cleaning make it a breeze to keep the baby sleep sacks clean for your bundle of joy.
Things We Liked
- Two-pack: these sleep sacks come in a convenient pack of two; the coordinated colors add class and style to the set.
- Comfortable: the round neckline with a snap-tab and the top to bottom zipper makes the wearable blankets easy to put on and take off.
- Fabric: the products are made of 100% cotton that is breathable, lightweight, and hypoallergenic. The option is ideal for the summer.
- Choice: the set comes in several colors and styles, and a winter version made of velvet plush cotton is also available.
Things We Didn’t Like
- It’s hard to change the diaper without taking the baby out of the sack.
4. HUDSON BABY WEARABLE SLEEPING BAG
Hudson Baby also proposes a range of wearable baby sleep sacks for babies between 0 and 24 months. Coming in different sizes and ideal to fit a growing baby from birth to youth, these sleeping bags are made of muslin cotton and come in a range of attractive colors and patterns.
There are numerous gender-specific or gender-neutral styles to choose from. All patterns are modern and easy to mix and match to fit the nursery theme or the bedding. Lightweight and breathable, the material is hypoallergenic and ideal to use in the warmer months.Check Latest Price
A thing we’re not so fond of is the design of the zipper closure, which goes from bottom to top. This makes it harder to close the sack with the baby in and also impossible to change the diaper without undressing the child.
Apart from this, the sleep sack is exceptional. It has a high quality, the zipper won’t rip off easily, and the product is machine washable. Muslin cotton is also renowned for its softness, which increases with every wash.
Things We Liked
- Fabric: ideal for newborns and infants with sensitive skin, this sleeping bag is made of muslin cotton which is lightweight and breathable.
- Styles: the product comes in a range of colors and styles which are either gender-specific or gender neutral. The sleep sack makes a great baby shower gift.
- Sizes: Hudson Baby has thought of all babies and manufactures the sleep sack in four sizes that fit newborns, infants, and toddlers from 0 to 24 months.
- Quality: the product is made to last. It has a strong zipper and the fabric doesn’t wear out easily.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The baby could hurt herself with the zipper.
5. HUDSON BABY JERSEY COTTON WEARABLE SLEEPING BAG
When fall comes and temperatures drop, Hudson Baby impresses with a jersey cotton baby sleep sack that promises ultimate comfort and safety. The product is made of a natural and breathable material that surrounds the baby in a warm and comfortable layer.
Like the model about, the sack zips from bottom to top, which is a drawback in our opinion. But in an attempt to improve existent design flaws, this sack comes with zipper protection designed to avoid skin irritation.Check Latest Price
Apart from this, the product is high-quality and ideal for babies between 0 and 24 months old. Besides different sizes, the manufacturer also proposes different styles. All choices are more or less gender-neutral and beautifully decorated with nature elements or cute animals.
Another thing we like is the price. This baby sleep sack is affordable, but also made to last. This feature gives it a great value for money.
Things We Liked
- Zipper protection: although this sleeping bag zips from bottom to top, it comes with a zipper protection designed to avoid skin irritation.
- Softness: this sleep sack is made of super-soft jersey cotton that keeps the baby warm in the colder season.
- Quality: this wearable blanket is made of high-quality cotton fabric that lasts in time. The product is also available in four sizes that fit a growing baby.
- Value: with a more than affordable price, this sleep sack delivers a great value for money. It makes a beautiful baby shower gift.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The sizes are on the larger side and could be unsafe for smaller babies.
CONCLUSION & FINAL PICK
There are dozens of sleeping bags for babies available on the market. But when it comes to choosing our favorite, we like Halo’s Sleep Sack Swaddle.
This versatile product turns from a swaddle sack to a baby sleep sack in a blink of an eye. Large side flaps allow to wrap the baby in a protective layer or leave her arms free to move. Closing from top to bottom, the sack is easy to put on while nighttime diaper changing is a breeze.
Easy to adjust in three ways to meet the needs of growing babies and available in two sizes for newborns and young infants up to 18lbs, Halo Sleep Sack is ideal for the baby’s first steps in life.
Coming in a variety of colors and styles, the baby Sleep Sack is ideal to make the transition from swaddle to the blanket; made of high-quality materials and made to resist in time, this is definitely an option to consider.