A newborn baby is a great commitment. Between sleepless nights and exhausting days, parents might find it hard to rest. A great solution is a baby swing, a gear created to entertain the newborn and give some peace of mind to the parents.
This accessory is so awesome that many even include it in the baby shower registry. But how to choose the best one? Read on to find it out. Or click on the links in the table below if you don’t have enough energy to read.
|Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing||$$|
|4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing||$$$$$|
|Fisher-Price My Little Snugabear Cradle 'N Swing||$$$$|
|Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing||$|
|Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing||$$$|
A baby swing is a product similar to a rocking chair but designed specifically for newborns. It has a rather limited use due to its low weight capacity. But thanks to the numerous functions, the baby swing can easily soothe the newborn.
On the market, there are dozens of models to choose from. They have different features, colors, and designs. Therefore, here is what you should consider before investing in one.
- 1 How To Choose A Baby Swing: Features And Characteristics
- 2 Best Baby Swing For Your Newborn
- 2.1 1. Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing
- 2.2 2. 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing
- 2.3 3. Fisher-Price My Little Snugabear Cradle ‘N Swing
- 2.4 4. Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing
- 2.5 5. Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing
- 3 Conclusion & Final Pick
How To Choose A Baby Swing: Features And Characteristics
Despite the rather “flimsy” look, the baby swing is a safe baby gear, as long as it is chosen carefully and as long as you respect the manufacturer’s direction regarding use.
The most important characteristic to consider is the weight capacity. If the baby is heavier than supported, the swing might tip over and hurt the little one.
The maximum capacity is usually indicated on the product’s packaging. Alternatively, check carefully the swing’s technical sheet for this information. Not all baby swings have the same weight capacity, but it rough terms almost all of them are suitable for babies up to 25lbs.
Some swings require physical force to move them. Others are equipped with automatic motion and can be controlled by a remote control. Trust me, you’ll want one of these. The controller will allow you to turn the swing on, set the swinging speed and control the other functions of the gear.
Some models with automatic motion are operated from buttons and knobs on the unit. This is an alternative, but if possible, choose a baby swing with remote control.
Sounds & Music
The most advanced models of baby swings come with soothing sounds and sometimes even lights. The sounds will relax the newborn and give you a greater peace of mind. Some models come with a preset playlist while others may have a USB port or Bluetooth connectivity, allowing you to decide which music to play.
Speed & Vibration
The swinging speed is another thing to consider. The best baby swing is one that has an adjustable speed, allowing you to meet the newborn’s preferences. This will also help you to adjust the swinging to the growing baby, as infants usually prefer a faster swinging compared to newborns.
You should also check whether the model has integrated vibrations or not. Most newborns prefer oscillating movements to the classic forward and backward swinging, but not all swings are capable of reproducing these movements.
Baby Swing Toys
It has been demonstrated that hanging toys promote growth and the development of hand-eye coordination. Hanging toys will catch the newborn’s attention, tempting her to try and reach them. These toys are usually fixed on an arch positioned above the seat and will move with the cradle.
It is ideal to choose a model with removable toy bar, as it will be easier for you to put the baby in the swing and take her out.
You should also check if it’s possible to hang additional toys or remove the existing ones.
Some baby swings have a fixed structure, but a removable seat is desirable. This will allow you to move the baby easier from one room to another if she fell asleep in the swing, and even place the seat directly on the floor if needed.
All baby swings come with a padded seat, but the quality of the padding can make a difference between a comfortable swing and a rubbish one. The padding should be thick and able to support a newborn but not too thick to suffocate the baby.
The padding should also be removable and washable. Water repellent materials are also ideal, as you’ll be able to wipe them clean instead of washing frequently.
Swinging the newborn might not be enough, and a reclining seat is desired. This will help you adjust the seat to the preferences of the baby, and change its reclining position if needed.
In fact, newborn babies usually benefit from a completely reclined seat while infants might love a more upright position that allows them to observe the surrounding environment.
Baby swings are operated by batteries or electricity. Batteries are preferred, as you’ll be able to use the swing in outdoor settings or in areas where access to an outlet is limited. Rechargeable batteries are even better, as they will save you money in the long run.
If you’re concerned about the runtime, there are some models that operate on both batteries and electricity.
Size & Storage
The overall dimension of the baby swing is another thing to consider, above all if you live in a small apartment. This infancy accessory can take up a lot of space, but there are models with a small footprint.
Some baby swings even have collapsible frames and they are easy to store and transport. These are great especially for those families who take frequent trips or for those who leave the baby at the grandparents’ during the day.
Best Baby Swing For Your Newborn
1. Graco Simple Sway Baby Swing
Graco brand is seen as a guarantee for baby safety. The renowned brand manufactures all types of baby gear and one of its bestselling products is the Simple Sway Baby Swing. This baby swing is ideal for newborns and accommodates babies up to 30lbs. However, it is not recommended to use it if the baby weighs less than 5.5lbs.
The swing has a slim design and is engineered to fit in any room. This gives peace of mind to parents living in small dwellings and will allow you to keep the baby close to you wherever you are. But despite its compact dimensions, the swing is designed to soothe the baby with gentle oscillating motions.Check Price on Amazon
This comforting way to calm and relax the baby will give you peace of mind, while the 2-speed vibrations and six swinging speeds will allow you to adjust the swing to the preference of the baby. The comfort is also ensured by the deep plush seat with removable head support, designed to keep the baby cozy and comfortable.
Regarding safety, the swing is equipped with a 5-point harness while the plush padding is thick enough to accommodate even the smallest newborns. However, the seat might be too large for preemies or babies with low birth weight.
Things We Liked
- Melodies: the swing boasts 10 melodies and 5 nature sounds that soothe and amuse the baby.
- Play mobile: the swing comes with a play mobile and three soft toys. Designed to engage the baby’s imagination, the mobile provides visual stimulation and entertains the newborns.
- Weight capacity: the swing is suitable for babies up to 30lbs.This means that your baby will get to enjoy it for quite a long time.
- Power: the unit is powered by batteries and has an option to plug-in. This saves the battery’s life and allows you to save money in the long run.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Excessive exposure to sunlight or heat can damage the unit. Don’t place it next to a heat source.
2. 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing
4moms’s mission is providing innovative design concepts for the most used baby gear, including baby swings. And rockaRoo Baby Swing highlights the innovative spirit of the manufacturer. Thought for parents living in small homes and ideal for babies up to 25lbs, this baby swing fits everywhere, including on the kitchen’s counter.
The rockaRoo is 70% smaller than traditional swings and has a sleek and modern design. This futuristic appearance appeals to many moms, but the unit’s benefits go well beyond aesthetics.Check Price on Amazon
In fact, the rockaRoo boasts five-speed options and a front-to-back gliding motion that soothes most babies. This type of motion mimics accurately the way you comfort the baby in the nursery or in a rocking chair.
On the other hand, this baby swing comes with other awesome features. It comes with an mp3 plug that allows you to choose the music and sounds, it has a baby mobile with reversible toys and has a removable and washable padding.
Things We Liked
- Removable seat cover: this patented baby swing comes with a removable seat cover. The fabric is machine washable and easy to clean.
- Size: this is perhaps the slimmest and most compact baby swing on the market. It fits anywhere and has an excellent stability on most surfaces.
- Baby mobile: to keep the baby entertained, this swing comes with a baby mobile with reversible toy balls.
- Extra seat fabrics: the swing comes with a standard seat fabric which is either gray or multicolored. But additional seat fabrics made of either plush or classic fabric are available separately.
Things We Didn’t Like
- This swing is only suitable for newborns and infants heavier than 7 pounds.
3. Fisher-Price My Little Snugabear Cradle ‘N Swing
My Little Snugabear Cradle 'N Swing by Fisher-Price is a baby swing designed to soothe and entertain the little one from birth up to about six months of age, or 15lbs of weight. To do this, the swing is fully customizable, from the seat’s position to the type of motion.
In detail, the unit boats two types of motion that either rock the baby from side to side, like a cradle, or swing her head-to-toe. The swinging speed is also adjustable and you can choose between six intensities. The seat has three adjustable positions and a two-position recline backrest.Check Price on Amazon
As for the entertainment, this baby swing comes with a baby mobile that boasts a mirrored globe and three friendly owls made of a soft material. The colorful toys encourage eye-tracking and hand-eye coordination, while the mirrored globe allows the baby to discover herself.
The swing is easy to control from an intuitive control panel and powered by a 120-volt AC adapter. Alternatively, you can use four D batteries when you want to use the swing on the go.
Things We Liked
- Cozy seat: designed to provide comfort to all newborns, this swing comes with a deep and cozy seat padded with a plush covering.
- Soothing sounds: designed to stimulate the baby’s senses, this baby swing features various melodies and nature sounds.
- SmartSwing Technology: this patented technology provides a wide range of motion and speed adjustments.
- Two power options: switching between the AC adapter and batteries is convenient and allows you to use the unit wherever you want.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit is a little noisy when the swing is on.
4. Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing
Graco Slim Spaces Compact Baby Swing is designed to fit in small spaces but the unit easily transitions from compact to full-size thanks to the height-adjustable legs. Thanks to this feature, the unit is versatile and easy to use at home or on travels.
Lightweight, compact, and easy to fold, this baby swing is easy to carry and move from one room, or one house, to another. But the benefits for mom and dad don’t end here. The unit is also easy to maintain, the seat is covered in a machine washable fabric and the frame is easy to clean with just warm water and mild soap.Check Price on Amazon
As for the baby, this swing is designed to provide ultimate comfort. The unit is designed to accommodate babies from birth up to 25lbs and it comes with a removable infant head support. The adjustable swinging speed matches the baby’s different moods, while the overhead toy bar comes with two attractive soft toys.
Safety often concerns parents, but this baby swing is built to be secure. It comes with a 5-point harness that keeps the baby in place. The harness is covered in soft fabric and is comfortable for the baby.
Things We Liked
- Battery operated: designed for portability, this baby swing is operated by batteries, while the compact size allows you to use it anywhere.
- Foldable: easy to store and transport, the unit boasts a collapsible design. Folding the swing is easy, as it is assembling it for use.
- Carry handle: to increase the unit’s portability, the manufacturer equipped it with a carry handle.
- Comfort: this swing is comfortable, it comes with a thick padding and boasts an overhead toy bar with two attractive toys.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit is only operated by batteries, which have a rather short life and are quite costly.
5. Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing
Fisher-Price Moonlight Meadow Cradle ‘n Swing is the last baby swing tried by our team. This unit is similar to My Little Snugabear Cradle 'N Swing and is designed to soothe babies from birth to childhood. This swing has a weight capacity of 25lbs and a minimum recommended weight of 5.5lbs.
This makes Moonlight Meadow suitable for almost all babies, although preemies or underweight newborns might be too small to use it in the first months. To accommodate all babies and respond to different demands, the swing comes with a fully adjustable seat.Check Price on Amazon
The two-position recline seat is ideal for sleeping and playtime, while the adjustable positions will allow you to place the seat facing forward or choose from right or left-facing. Converting between the different swing positions is easy, with just a press of a button.
As for the entertainment, this unit has six swinging speeds, an overhead baby mobile with three attractive toys, a mirrored globe and 16 songs and soothing sounds.
Things We Liked
- Weight capacity: this swing is suitable for babies up to 25lbs, although the manufacturer recommends interrupting its use when the baby starts to climb out.
- Sounds: designed to soothe and relax babies, this baby swing comes with 16 songs and nature sounds.
- Mobile: the motorized mobile keeps the baby entertained. The soft animals encourage baby to watch them move, while the mirrored globe helps the baby discover herself.
- Seat: designed to provide comfort to all babies, this seat comes with a two-position recline and three-position adjustable seat.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit is noisy and might wake up the sleeping baby.
Conclusion & Final Pick
There are many baby swings to choose from but for us, 4moms rockaRoo Baby Swing is the best. We love the innovative design and the amazing features and functionalities of this truly compact unit. The swing is easy to place anywhere in the house, including on a tabletop. It is compact, lightweight, easy to transport, and easy to store.
Despite the compact size, the unit is comfortable and comes with a removable and machine washable cover. Extra seat covers are also available from the manufacturer, therefore having a clean padding at hand is easy.
The swing also has five-speed options and a soothing front to back gliding motion that helps baby fall asleep. Combined with the mp3 plug that lets you choose the music and the baby mobile that mesmerizes the little one, this is certainly an awesome baby swing to consider.