Your baby is about to come. It’s time to start thinking of the nursery. You have to choose the right colors and decorations for the baby room, but also the right furniture. Questions start popping into your head. After all, which is the best bassinet for newborn babies?
Do you need a bassinet at all? Read on to find out why you need one, how to replace it and which is the best bassinet on the market. Or just click the links in the table below and check the most popular options if you don’t feel like reading.
|HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet - Essentia Series||$$$$$|
|HALO Bassinest Glide Sleeper, Mosaic||$$$$|
|Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet||$|
|Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Bassinet||$$$|
|Graco Pack 'n Play On the Go Playard||$|
Many moms-to-be are wondering whether a bassinet is necessary or not. After all, you’ll only use it for a short time. What if you skip the bassinet altogether and go for a crib?
Like for everything, there are bassinet supporters who claim it is essential for the baby’s new start and bassinet opponents who say it’s a useless item. In the end, the baby only needs few essentials items, yet, the bassinet might be one of them.
- 1 Bassinet For Newborns: Yay or Nay?
- 2 Best Bassinet Features: What To Look For?
- 3 Baby Bassinet Alternatives
- 4 The Best Bassinet For Your Newborn
- 4.1 1. HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet – Essentia Series
- 4.2 2. HALO Bassinest Glide Sleeper, Mosaic
- 4.3 3. Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet
- 4.4 4. Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Bassinet
- 4.5 5. Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Bassinet For Newborns: Yay or Nay?
A baby bassinet is a sort of mini-crib for newborns. Designed to accommodate even the smaller babies, including premature, bassinets are considered by specialists the safest resting place for babies under 4 months.
However, your baby will only use a bassinet for less than 6 months. That’s why some parents prefer investing in a good crib from the start.
According to pediatricians, the only advantage of a crib is the size. The baby will be able to use it from birth until she outgrows the crib stage, therefore is a more cost-effective solution in the long run. But if you want to consider your newborn’s safety, a crib is better for many reasons.
The main reason to get a bassinet is that the American Association of Pediatricians recommends that your newborn should sleep in the parent’s bedroom but in a separate bed. Co-sleeping is associated with a lower risk of SIDS not to mention that it’s less exhausting for the new mom to nurse the newborn during nighttime when sleeping in the same room.
Pediatricians also claim that newborns feel more comfortable in a bassinet than in a crib. To understand why, think of the baby’s position in the womb. There isn’t too much space in there, isn’t it? Now imagine how lost your baby might feel in a large crib.
In fact, studies show that most newborn babies feel uncomfortable in the crib while a bassinet provides a more protective feeling.
If you’re worried about the budget, know that some bassinets come with a static and stroller frame allowing parents to move the baby effortlessly. This two-in-one article will save you money and will provide a safe sleeping space for your bundle of joy.
Best Bassinet Features: What To Look For?
- Size: the best bassinet should have a small footprint yet accommodate the baby comfortably. A small bassinet is preferred because you’ll be able to move it easily around the house and keep your baby close when you’re cooking or lounging on the sofa.
- Portability: some bassinets have frames with wheels and are easy to move. Others are easy to take off the frame and small enough to fit in your bed or on a countertop. Other bassinets transition from a baby bed to a stroller. Regardless of the choice, make sure the bassinet is portable and consider your lifestyle before choosing the model.
- Weight capacity: bassinets usually hold babies younger than 6 months and have weight capacities lower than 30lbs. However, there are some bassinets suitable for heavier babies. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations or your baby might not sleep safely.
- Mattress: many bassinets come with a fitted mattress but they are not always the best. The mattress for a newborn should be firm and sturdy, able to keep the baby in a correct position. If the mattress included is of poor quality, make sure the bassinet has a standard size or you might struggle to find a replacement mattress.
- Accessories: most bassinets have canopies and attachments on which is possible to hang toys. Some even come with the toys. Consider whether you want to attach any toy carousels to the bassinet or if there are accessories you absolutely want and choose accordingly.
Baby Bassinet Alternatives
Budget-conscious parents might find it difficult to invest in a bassinet. An alternative might be investing in a good pram to use both outdoors and indoors. To save even more, you might even consider a high-quality infant travel system and use the pram until the baby is big enough to sleep in a crib.
Another alternative might be investing in a travel baby bed or Pack-n-Play. Both items are compact enough to fit in the master bedroom for the first months and both items can be used for at least a couple of years.
Still, if you want to skip the bassinet, choose a good crib and use suitable baby bedding for the baby’s first months. Remember that cribs are associated with a higher SIDS risk in newborns and small infants, therefore choosing suitable bedding and accessories is essential.
The Best Bassinet For Your Newborn
1. HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet – Essentia Series
HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper Bassinet is designed for both new mom and newborn. Versatile for the parents and comfortable for the baby, this bassinet provides a safe sleeping space that is easy to install next to your bed and move around the house.
The bassinet comes with a stable and height-adjustable 4-point base. The height varies from 24 to 34 inches and needs a 32-inch wall clearance. These features make the Bassinest a great solution for small bedrooms or nurseries.Check Price on Amazon
But what strikes are the features thought for baby and mom. The bassinet has see-through mesh walls, it rotates and even swivels 360°, allowing you to bring the baby close to you at all times. The side walls are also easy to lower if you want to take the baby out of the bassinet without getting out of the bed.
Bassinest comes with a fitted waterproof mattress pad that contains no toxic substances and a coordinated polyester fitted sheet that is easy to wipe clean or wash in the washing machine. Without a doubt, a bassinet to consider for the newest member of the family.
Things We Liked
- Design: this newborn bassinet boasts a versatile design. It is safe for the baby and helps moms gain easy access to their little ones.
- Mesh walls: the side walls of the bassinet are made of mesh and are easy to lower. This allows nursing or recovering moms get the baby out of the bassinet effortlessly.
- Polyurethane mattress pad: the waterproof pad is designed to keep the mattress clean and meets all federal safety standards.
- Rotating: the bassinets rotates and swivels to 360°. You’ll get to appreciate this feature when breastfeeding during the night.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The bassinet is not suitable for active babies, including active newborns.
2. HALO Bassinest Glide Sleeper, Mosaic
HALO Bassinest Glide Sleeper was ideated for co-sleeping and is popular among new parents for its incredible features. Like the other Bassinests, the Glide Sleeper boasts lowering side walls which can be blocked upright if desired, yet this one is designed to glide effortlessly across all floor surfaces.
For a smooth gliding even on carpeted floors, the Glide Sleeper presents gliding discs that provide an hassle-free motion. This makes co-sleeping less demanding when you have to get out of the bed. The bassinet is suitable for babies up to 20lbs and comes with a 4-point stable base with adjustable height.Check Price on Amazon
The base is designed to tuck easily under the bed and the whole article requires a 32-inch clearance from the wall. This makes the Glide Sleeper ideal for small bedrooms or nurseries.
The bassinet comes with a fitted mattress and other useful accessories. The most noteworthy are the coordinating fitting sheet that is made of polyester and is machine washable, the waterproof mattress pad and the side storage pocket.
Things We Liked
- Easy to move: this bassinet boasts a gliding base designed to move smoothly on all types of floors without scratching or damaging them.
- Walls: the side walls are made of breathable mesh and are easy to lower down for an easy access to the baby.
- Base: the gliding base tucks easily under the bed and the adjustable height fits most beds.
- Accessories: the bassinet comes with a convenient storage pocket, a waterproof mattress, and a fitted sheet.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Some parents feel the bassinet is unsafe for their babies.
3. Delta Children Sweet Beginnings Bassinet
Delta Children provides one of the most cost-effective solutions and their Sweet Beginnings bassinet comes with features many parents love. The bassinet is designed for infants up to 15lbs, it takes up a little space in the bedroom and boasts an attractive design.
The bassinet comes with a sturdy yet sleek steel frame with wheels. It is easy to move it around the house and even easy to take it with you on travels, as it weighs only 10.5lbs. Despite the small footprint, the bassinet has a comfortable sleeping area.Check Price on Amazon
The sleeping area is designed to provide womb-like comfort to the baby and comes with a fitted machine washable sheet.
Apart from these features, the bassinet also boasts a large, adjustable and removable canopy, a large two-section storage basket, calming nightlight and soothing music.
Things We Liked
- JPMA approved: this infant bassinet meets or exceeds all federal safety regulations including ASTM and CPSC standards. It also has a JPMA certification.
- Size: thanks to its small footprint, the bassinet fits well even in the tiniest rooms. It measures 33x17x45 inches.
- Portability: the bassinet is lightweight and comes with a wheeled frame that is easy to move around the house.
- Convenient: a large canopy will provide shade to the baby, and you’ll be able to keep all her essentials in the large storage basket.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The bassinet is suitable for babies up to 15lbs and you’ll use it for a very short time.
4. Fisher-Price Soothing Motion Bassinet
In an attempt to recreate the womb environment and make it better for the baby, Fisher-Price designed to Soothing Motion Bassinet. Ideal for a baby’s start in life, this bassinet sways, project lights and emits pleasant sounds.
The Soothing Motion Bassinet is ideal for infants up to 25lbs or until they can pull themselves up. You’ll be able to use this bassinet even when the baby outgrows this stage, as long as you take it off the frame and place it directly on the bed or floor.Check Price on Amazon
The feature we like best about this article is the dual-mode lighting that projects soothing stars but that can be used as a nightlight. The projection unit is removable and can be placed anywhere in the bedroom or nursery.
The bassinet sways and there is an option to switch on the music and soothing sounds. Thanks to these features, your baby will sleep comfortably from day one.
Things We Liked
- Calming vibrations: this function mimics the natural vibration that baby feels in the womb, soothing and calming her almost instantly.
- Soothing music: the relaxing music and sounds add serenity to the ambiance and relax both baby and mom.
- Light projection unit: the removable light projection unit has two options and you can use it as a night light or to mesmerize your baby with twinkle stars.
- Storage: this baby bassinet boasts a large storage basket where you can keep all the baby’s essentials, at least in the first months.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The low-level sleeping surface might be uncomfortable for some parents.
5. Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard
Graco Pack 'n Play On the Go Playard is what we call an outstanding solution for budget-conscious parents. This two-in-one product is an infant and toddler playground with removable bassinet and designed to serve the baby from day one to childhood.
The full-size bassinet is suitable for babies up to 15lbs. Once the baby outgrows this stage, simply remove the bassinet to transform the Pack-n-Play into a comfy and cozy travel bed and playground for your bundle of joy.Check Price on Amazon
The playground boasts airy mesh walls on all sides, wheels for added convenience and a waterproof changing table that doubles as a mattress.
The playground is great both for the parents who want to invest in a long-term item and for those with little available space. Compact and easy to carry with you, the playground is also easy to fold for storage or transport purposes.
Things We Liked
- Convenient: Graco Pack ‘n Play On the Go Playard comes with a full-size Nest Bassinet and transforms to a playground for older infants and toddlers.
- Ventilation: designed to keep the baby comfy, the Pack-n-Play boasts mesh walls on all sides.
- Changing station: this product brings even the convenience of a changing station. The changing table is covered in waterproof fabric and is easy to clean.
- Portable: the Pack-n-Play is equipped with wheels, is foldable and lightweight. It is easy to transport and convenient to store.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The mattress is rather thin and you might have to buy another one.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the best bassinet on the market is HALO Bassinest Swivel Sleeper. This bassinet is designed with both baby and mom in mind. Comfortable for the baby and convenient for the parents, this bassinet presents awesome features.
We like that the bassinet rotates and swivels to 360°. This feature is great for the nursing moms and for those recovering after a C-section. The side walls are made of mesh to provide adequate breathability and the item itself takes up a little space in the bedroom or nursery.
The bassinet has a stable base and it is easy to take from one room to another. It also comes with a fitted mattress and coordinated polyester sheet.
Some might argue that it is expensive. While this is true, we still believe that your baby’s safety and your comfort soon after birth are priceless, therefore we still say that HALO is the best bassinet we could find.