A convertible stroller can save you the hassle and money of buying a new stroller when the baby outgrows the pram stage. But how to choose the best one? Are they all the same? Find the answers to your questions in this guide or click on the links below to check out the top 5 convertible strollers out there.
|Baby Jogger City Select Single Stroller||$$$$$|
|Cynebaby Convertible Bassinet Stroller||$$|
|Elle Baby Journey Convertible Stroller||$$$|
|Besrey Newborn Baby Stroller for Infant Folding Convertible||$|
|Contours Bliss 4-in-1 Convertible Stroller||$$$$|
A stroller is one of those essential things a baby needs from day one. But they are also a budget breaker. Considering the different needs of a growing infant, you’re probably going to use a pram for a very short time yet it’s not advisable to skip it altogether.
A baby and budget friendly solution is a convertible stroller. Designed to grow with your baby, this type of stroller converts from a pram to a buggy in a blink of an eye. There are even models designed to convert from a single to a double stroller and meet the needs of a growing family.
I didn’t use a convertible stroller for my kids but have seen many of my friends benefit from their use. I’ve asked them the secrets of choosing the best and that’s what I found out.
- 1 Types Of Convertible Strollers
- 2 How To Choose A Convertible Stroller
- 3 The Best Convertible Stroller For Your Baby
- 3.1 1. Baby Jogger City Select Single Stroller
- 3.2 2. Cynebaby Convertible Bassinet Stroller
- 3.3 3. Elle Baby Journey Convertible Stroller
- 3.4 4. Besrey Newborn Baby Stroller for Infant Folding Convertible Baby Carriage
- 3.5 5. Contours Bliss 4-in-1 Convertible Stroller
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Convertible Strollers
Not all convertible strollers are the same. Some of them are designed to convert from a single to a double stroller. Others convert from a pram to a buggy. To choose the best, consider your real needs. Is this your first baby and plan to give her a sibling anytime soon? Are you expecting your second baby or twins? Or is this the only child you’re planning to have?
If you’re planning to grow your family in a short period of time or are expecting twins, a stroller that converts from single to double might be the best solution.
On the contrary, a convertible stroller that switches from a pram to a buggy is ideal if you don’t plan on having another baby.
The main downside of the single-to-double strollers is the weight. Added to the weight of two growing babies, the stroller might be hard to maneuver. However, all double strollers out there are rather heavy, therefore this isn’t a major drawback.
Pram-to-buggy strollers are ideal for those who need it for only one baby. There are two types of convertible strollers to consider.
One type is made of a chassis that can accommodate an infant car seat in the first months. The pram, therefore, will consist of the infant car seat attached to the frame. This is convenient for both baby and parents. You’ll not have to wake the baby to move her from the car to the stroller.
When the baby outgrows the pram stage, you can simply attach the stroller seat to the chassis and there you go. You’ll have a traditional buggy to use for the whole growing period.
The other type is made of a pram that switches to a buggy without changing the seat. These models are convenient if you don’t travel by car often. The convertible stroller will stay by your side from birth to childhood.
How To Choose A Convertible Stroller
The main mistakes new parents make is to consider the aesthetic and design features before the technical features of a stroller. While it should match your taste, a convertible stroller must be functional, safe for the baby and friendly to your budget.
The functionality of the convertible stroller depends on the type. Choosing the right type is simple once you consider your lifestyle and future expectations. A single-to-double stroller is ideal if you’re planning to increase your family quickly and they are even great for twins. Pram-to-buggy strollers are great for just one baby yet you’ll have to consider your lifestyle if you want to choose the right one.
A functional stroller is one that is easy to maneuver and handle. Consider the weight, the wheels, and the overall maneuverability before buying. The convertible stroller should also collapse easily and, ideally, stand alone when folded.
Another feature related to the functionality is the storage. A baby needs lots of things. Hooks to hang a diaper bag, a large storage basket for grocery bags and toys, parent and kid cup holders and pockets to store the essentials are useful and make the stroller functional.
Last but not least, consider the size. A compact convertible stroller that fits through most doorways is more functional than a bulky model.
Your baby’s safety comes first. And there are many things to consider when choosing the stroller. The chassis, or frame, is the first to check. Make sure it’s sturdy yet lightweight. Frames made of aluminum alloy are preferred by many parents and described as reliable and durable.
The wheels should also be sturdy and well-made. A wheels-locking system is a must. Ideally, choose a convertible stroller with large wheels and rubber tires. Front and rear swivel wheels will help you navigate effortlessly.
On the systems compatible with car seats, make sure that the seat is easy to mount and locks in safely without effort. The stroller seat, regardless of the model, should be equipped with safety harnesses designed to prevent the baby from falling.
Expensive strollers are not necessarily better. Many brands manufacture high-quality convertible strollers at affordable prices, although the most expensive models usually have more features.
For example, a stroller that allows you to adjust the position of the seat might be more expensive than a stroller with a fixed seat. Before deciding which is the best for you, consider how much you are willing to invest in a stroller, compare the models and decide which is the best quality/price ration for you.
To help decide which convertible stroller is the best for you, check out the popular and reliable single-to-double and pram-to-buggy strollers below.
The Best Convertible Stroller For Your Baby
1. Baby Jogger City Select Single Stroller
But that’s not it. The stroller can even accommodate three babies. A glider board will make this fantastic convertible stroller a triple system for two younger babies and a toddler older than two and a half years.
This versatile system has 16 unique seat combinations to adapt to the most demanding parents. From a pram to a rear-facing stroller and then to a forward-facing one, this product is made to grow with your baby and adapt to your family.
Things We Liked
- Wheels: this convertible stroller is equipped with four large wheels adaptable to all types of terrains. The front swivel wheels can be locked for long-distance strolls and the rear wheels are equipped with forever-air tires.
- Canopy: the stroller boasts a large and adjustable canopy that provides shade and protection. It can be adjusted to different heights and boasts a UV 50+ factor.
- Multiple recline: the seat is adjustable and can fit the needs of a newborn, infant or curious toddler. The maximum weight capacity is 45 pounds.
- Single-to-double: a conversion kit sold separately converts the single stroller to a double stroller for infant and toddler or a tandem stroller for twins.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The stroller is heavy and has few functional features in terms of storage and convenience.
2. Cynebaby Convertible Bassinet Stroller
The Cynebaby Convertible Bassinet Stroller is a fashionable convertible stroller to consider for your baby. This stroller attracts with its luxury design, but beyond beauty, it offers incredible features. The seat is made of durable Oxford fabric and is made to last from birth to childhood.
The stroller starts as a newborn bassinet and converts to a seat easily. In both modes, the baby can be positioned to face either the parent or the world. This is a convenient feature as you’ll be able to accommodate your child’s needs at all times.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding safety, the stroller boasts anti-shock springs on the front wheels and it easily navigates on all terrains. The seat is provided with a 5-point safety harness and the frame is sturdy and durable.
The materials used are eco-friendly and anti-bacterial. The frame is made of sturdy aluminum alloy and provides stability thanks to its triangular structure. All plastic components are non-toxic and they are durable.
Things We Liked
- Adjustable: the convertible stroller adjusts to the needs of a growing baby and changes from a flat bassinet to a toddler seat.
- Handle: the stroller comes with a telescopic handlebar to meet the needs of people with different heights.
- Safe: the stroller has been tested by the American ASTM society and passed the F833 safety standard test.
- Guaranteed: the manufacturer offers a 180-days full refund guarantee if you’re not satisfied with the product and a lifetime warranty.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The stroller is hard to put together and lacks detailed instructions.
3. Elle Baby Journey Convertible Stroller
Elle Baby Journey Convertible Stroller is a compact and lightweight stroller designed to grow with the baby. Starting as a pram for newborns up to 6 months and converting to a buggy for older infants and toddlers, this stroller will become your trustworthy ally both at home and in your travels.
The compact design and safety features are the main things that attract. The frame is lightweight yet sturdy and the stroller collapses with the seat mounted. Moreover, it even converts to a travel system when used with the right accessories.Check Price on Amazon
The seat has 4 recline positions adaptable to all needs. The handlebar adapts to the parent’s height and the sturdy wheels make navigating crowds a breeze. Furthermore, the stroller boasts a large storage basket and additional pouches.
Regarding functionality, storage is not everything. The stroller is easy to fold by stepping on a lever, is sleek and lightweight, perfectly adaptable to city parents and serial travelers.
Things We Liked
- Convenience: the stroller converts from a pram to a buggy in no time. With the right accessories, it’s even a convenient travel system.
- Tires: made to navigate on all types of terrains, the stroller is equipped with large, sturdy wheels and durable foam-filled tires.
- Lightweight: lightweight and collapsible, this convertible stroller is easy to store in a trunk or even in a plane.
- Functional: large storage solutions, a telescopic handlebar, adjustable seat and easy-to-fold frame are just some of this stroller’s features.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Considering the features of the stroller and its price, there might be better deals on the market.
4. Besrey Newborn Baby Stroller for Infant Folding Convertible Baby Carriage
Besrey Newborn Baby Stroller for Infant Folding Convertible Baby Carriage offers convertible convenience at an affordable price. This might be the ideal solution for budget-conscious parents while the functionality makes it an ideal choice for everyone.
The stroller boasts a sturdy aluminum alloy frame and a reversible and convertible seat that transforms from a bassinet to a seat. The seat is equipped with a 5-point safety harness keeping the baby securely in her place.Check Price on Amazon
Easy to handle, the stroller is lightweight and features large wheels. The front wheels swivel to 360° and the rear wheels are equipped with rubber tires making navigation a breeze on all types of terrains.
Other features we like are the adjustable handle and the large storage basket. The stroller also boasts a cup holder.
Things We Liked
- Colors: ideal for both boys and girls, this convertible stroller is available in two gender-neutral colors, which are black and grey.
- Large canopy: providing shade or privacy to the baby is easy, thanks to the large, adjustable canopy.
- Reversible seat: whether you want to face your baby or let her explore the world, the reversible seat gives you the versatile solutions you need.
- Collapsible: when not in use, the stroller folds compactly. It fits in a trunk of a small car and is easy to take with you in your travels.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The seat seems rather unstable when used as a bassinet.
5. Contours Bliss 4-in-1 Convertible Stroller
The Contours Bliss 4-in-1 Convertible Stroller offers you all the solutions needed from birth to childhood. A versatile travel system or convertible stroller in one, this product is made to grow with the baby and address the needs of modern parents.
Thanks to the range of accessories, the frame is compatible with few infant car seats, or you can use it with the included bassinet that turns into a toddler seat when the baby is old enough. Regardless of your choice, the stroller is compact, easy to handle, and perfect for all parents.Check Price on Amazon
This carrier is easy to take off which is really convenient for newborns. You’ll be able to let the baby sleep comfortably in the bassinet without waking her up when you got home. Moreover, you can easily fold the frame for storage purposes.
The wheels are large and sturdy, designed to navigate on all types of terrains. The front wheels swivel and the rear wheels are equipped with rubber-coated tires to absorb bumps and cracks.
Things We Liked
- Comfort: this convertible stroller is comfortable for the baby. The seat is padded with a soft insert and has a padded safety harness.
- Versatility: use it as a convertible stroller or travel system with a compatible infant car seat. The options are many to make happy both you and the baby.
- Canopy: providing privacy to a sleeping baby or sunshade to your toddler is easy thanks to the large canopy with peek-a-boo window.
- Compact: this stroller is compact and easy to navigate with through the crowds. It also folds compactly and fits in small trunks.
Things We Didn’t Like
- You can’t fold the stroller with the seat on and there is little storage space.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Versatile and convertible in multiple ways, the best convertible stroller on the market is the Baby Jogger City Select Single Stroller. Ideal for growing babies and growing families, the stroller can accommodate up to three kids at a time and boasts 16 versatile seat arrangements.
For only one baby, the stroller is easy to use as a travel system with a compatible infant car seat or as a convertible stroller with the adjustable bassinet provided. When baby number two has arrived, simply add a second seat to transform the Baby Jogger City Select into a tandem stroller for infant and toddler. And add a glider board to carry a third kid too.
Doubtless, this is the most versatile convertible stroller on the market.