Baby bottles stand among the most useful items new parents will need. You’ll need a baby bottle even if you decide to breastfeed your baby, yet the choice of the right bottle is more complicated in this case. Among the many considerations to make is the material of the bottle, and glass baby bottles are some of the most popular.
Choosing the right glass baby bottles for breastfed babies is still daunting. However, if you don’t feel like reading, use the links below to jump to our selection of the best products on the market.
|Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles, 4 Ounce||$$$|
|Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Gift Set||$$$$|
|Dr. Brown's Options Wide Neck Glass Bottles||$$|
|Lifefactory BPA-Free Starter Set||$$$$$|
|Born Free Breeze 9 oz. Glass Bottle||$|
As many parents know, breastfeeding and baby bottles don’t go hand in hand. A breastfed baby will hardly accept a bottle. Things are even worse if your baby develops bottle preference, as less suction will decrease your milk production.
To avoid all issues, it is essential to learn how to choose the right bottle and nipple. Moreover, you should learn when it’s recommended to use the bottle and when to stick to the natural way. If you’re a new mom, read on to find out how to choose the right glass baby bottle for your little one.
- 1 How To Choose A Baby Bottle For Breastfed Babies
- 2 Why Choose A Glass Baby Bottle
- 3 Best Glass Baby Bottle For Breastfed Babies
- 3.1 1. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles, 4 Ounce
- 3.2 2. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Gift Set
- 3.3 3. Dr. Brown’s Options Wide Neck Glass Bottles
- 3.4 4. Lifefactory BPA-Free Starter Set
- 3.5 5. Born Free Breeze 9 oz. Glass Bottle
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
How To Choose A Baby Bottle For Breastfed Babies
Many parents believe that choosing the baby bottle is a breeze, even if the infant is breastfed. However, this is far from the truth. Choosing a wrong bottle and nipple can create confusion in the baby and it can even lead to breast rejection.
The reason is simple. Artificial nipples deliver a smoother flow compared to the real breast. This means that the baby will need less effort to feed, and this is why many newborns and infants will start to prefer the bottle.
This is an issue in the case of breastfed babies because the reduction of breastfeeding will trigger the reduction of milk production. Pumping your milk regularly is hardly efficient, as a mom’s body is able to recognize when the baby is actually attached to the nipple and when she’s not.
Nevertheless, it is a certainty that all parents need a baby bottle, even when the babies are mainly breastfed. In some situations, it might be hard to feed your baby naturally. For example, you could attend some formal event where breastfeeding is inappropriate or have to leave the baby with the grandparents for some reason.
It is easy to understand, therefore, why choosing the right bottle for breastfed babies is extremely important. Here are some things to consider:
- Nipple: the foremost important aspect to consider when choosing a bottle for breastfed babies is the nipple. It should closely mimic the natural nipple and the flow to prevent creating confusion in the baby. This means that the baby should struggle to feed and the nipple should be designed to stop and activate the flow in the same way as a natural breast. Although this might seem impossible, the truth is that many manufacturers propose a range of excellent bottle nipples you can choose from. Ideally, go for a nipple made of natural rubber.
- Material: the bottle’s material is another thing to consider. Most popular solutions include plastic or silicone, but sometimes the glass is the best. Check carefully all advantages and disadvantages of the various types of bottles before deciding in which to invest.
- Capacity: avoid large bottles and choose sets of smaller ones. You should decide the capacity based on your baby’s age. Ideally, the bottle should contain the exact quantity of milk needed for a meal, as this will allow you to store milk for a longer time. You should have at least six baby bottles and replace them regularly as your baby grows.
- Shape: bottles with wavy shapes are cute and maybe easier to hold, but they are harder to clean. Choose the shape of the bottle based on how easy it is to clean even its most remote angles.
You may have noticed that above I mentioned glass baby bottles as being the best. If you’re wondering why, have a look at their advantages and disadvantages listed below.
Why Choose A Glass Baby Bottle
Glass baby bottles are probably the best choice for breastfed babies, although they should also be considered for babies fed with formula milk. If you believe that a glass bottle is too heavy for your baby to hold, at least try to stick with it for the first months. Here is why.
Advantages Of Glass Baby Bottles
- They are easy to clean and sterilize.
- They don’t alter the taste of milk.
- The glass is chemical free.
- Glass bottles last indefinitely without losing their properties.
- The glass is heat resistant, a big plus when you have to reheat stored milk.
- Glass bottles are environmentally friendly.
Disadvantages Of Glass Baby Bottles
- Glass bottles can break.
- They are heavier than plastic or silicone ones.
Best Glass Baby Bottle For Breastfed Babies
1. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottles, 4 Ounce
Philips is one of the most popular infancy products manufacturer. Among its top rated products, we can mention the Philips Avent Natural glass baby bottle designed specifically for breastfed babies. The bottle is equipped with a silicone nipple shaped as a natural one, promoting the natural latch of the baby.
The bottle is made of pharmacy-grade borosilicate glass that is heat and shock resistant, and it is suitable for babies from birth to complete weaning. Moreover, all Philips Avent glass bottles are compatible with the selection of Natural nipples of the same manufacturer.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding the nipples, it should be said that it is always a good idea to match the brand of the nipples with the brand of the bottle. Manufacturers usually shape their bottle nipples to provide optimal flow with the type of bottle you choose. Philips Avent nipples are made of food-grade silicone that is free of harmful chemicals.
Moreover, to mimic a natural breast closely, the manufacturer’s nipples are wide, flexible, and integrated with an innovative twin valve that reduces colic.
Things We Liked
- Ergonomic: Philips Avent bottles are shaped to be easy to hold both by parents and by babies. Although made of glass, their weight is not excessive either.
- Wide neck: filling and cleaning the bottle concern most parents. Thanks to the wide neck, both operations are a breeze in the case of Philips Avent glass baby bottles.
- Measurement guide: knowing how much your baby has eaten is really important. This provides information about latching and suction, but also about the quality of the milk. Thanks to the convenient measurement guide, you’ll be able to monitor this factor.
- Size: this glass baby bottle is available in various sizes and it is suitable for babies since birth until complete weaning. The sizes available are four or eight ounces.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Sometimes the caps and nipples don’t screw well on the bottles, leading to leaks and spillages.
2. Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Gift Set
The Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Gift Set is a perfect baby shower gift for those future moms who plan on breastfeeding their babies, but it also represents a perfect choice for new parents who want to invest in quality baby bottles.
The set contains three glass baby bottles with a capacity of four ounces and two bottles of nine ounces, two Soothie pacifiers for babies between 0 and 3 months old, plus a bottle protector ideal to provide further comfort when holding the bottle.Check Price on Amazon
Just as the Philips Avent bottles described above, these bottles are made of pharmacy-grade borosilicate glass and come with breast-shaped silicone nipples that promote natural latch and are easy to clean.
The nipples are shaped to reduce colic and are made of food-grade silicone that is free of harmful chemicals. The bottles are also compatible with all Philips Avent Natural nipples.
Things We Liked
- Thermal shock resistant: all Philips Avent Natural bottles are made of thermal shock resistant glass, are easy to clean and easy to sterilize.
- Integrated anti-colic system: the innovative nipple shape is clinically proven to reduce colic and discomfort in young babies.
- Pacifiers included: this set comes with two convenient pacifiers that will help soothe the baby and put her to sleep.
- Easy grasp: the bottle is easy to hold by both parents and baby. Naturally, you should pay attention when your baby is handling it since the bottle can break.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Because of the closure system, the bottles are sometimes hard to open or leaks might occur.
3. Dr. Brown’s Options Wide Neck Glass Bottles
If you’re looking for an innovative solution that can maintain the nutritional properties of milk and avoid to create bottle preference, then Dr. Brown's Options Wide Neck Glass Baby Bottle might be an option to consider.
The main difference between this bottle and the competition is the nipple and vent system designed to closely mimic natural flow and prevent breast milk oxidation. Thanks to this innovation, the bottle is able to preserve milk vitamins and lipids for a longer time compared to other glass bottles.Check Price on Amazon
The nipple system, on the other hand, is very different from the others. The nipple is fitted with a long straw that reaches the bottom of the bottle and creates a constant flow.
Thanks to this feature, you will be able to fill the nipple with milk easier and avoiding awkward positions. Minimizing air intake, you’ll also be able to reduce colic and discomfort during feeding.
Things We Liked
- Innovative nipple: Dr. Brown’s nipples are created to reduce colic, burping, spit-up, and gas. The nipples can also be used with or without the vent.
- Compatibility: Dr. Brown’s bottles are compatible with most breast pumps. This is a great advantage because you’ll not have to collect milk in a separate container.
- Preserves milk: this bottle is designed to reduce air bubble oxidation and maintain the properties of the milk for a longer time.
- Ideal for all babies: the bottle is designed to provide enough milk throughout the growing stages. It has a capacity of 5 ounces.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Similar to many other brands, the caps of these bottles are sometimes hard to remove.
4. Lifefactory BPA-Free Starter Set
Many parents find starter sets more comfortable than individual options, as they can give peace of mind for a longer period of time. If this is your case, a starter pack to consider is the Lifefactory BPA-Free Starter Set.
This set contains six glass baby bottles ideal for breastfed babies, along with other infancy accessories that will help you soothe or comfort your baby. In detail, the set contains four glass baby bottles with a capacity of 4 ounces and two glass bottles with a capacity of 9 ounces, two packs of stage three nipples, and two silicone theeters.Check Price on Amazon
Moreover, the bottles come with additional nipples; in detail, the 4-ounce bottles come with stage 1 nipples, while the 9-ounce ones have stage 2 nipples.
All polypropylene and silicone parts are FDA approved, they are BPA, BPS and phthalate-free and perfectly safe to be used by newborns and infants.
Things We Liked
- Made in US and Europe: all components of these bottles are made in the US and in Europe. This is a guarantee that they comply with all federal and international safety standards.
- Compatibility: all bottles are compatible with most breast pumps. You will have less to clean and will avoid milk contamination.
- FDA approved: Lifefactory bottles and accessories are approved by the FDA and safe to use. You will not have to worry about harmful chemicals.
- Protective sleeves: all bottles come with protective silicone sleeves that increase grip for both parents and child.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The bottles come with plastic lids that are easy to break. You should pay attention when closing the bottle.
5. Born Free Breeze 9 oz. Glass Bottle
Some moms feel that it’s safer to exclusively breastfeed the baby at least in the first month of life and only introduce a bottle afterward. If this is the case, then you might want to consider the Born Free Breeze 9-oz. glass baby bottle.
This bottle is made of ThermaSafe glass that can go from the freezer straight to boiling water. Besides the thermal resistance, the bottle is also easy to hold thanks to the slim design.Check Price on Amazon
Ideated as an alternative for breastfed babies, the Born Free Breeze bottle boasts an award-winning 2-piece design that allows for an effortless cleaning and assembly.
Last but not least, the nipple system is genial. The flow and suction system is ideated almost as a natural nipple, preventing in this way the bottle preference. The vent system is also designed to reduce air intake and colic.
Things We Liked
- Medium Flow nipples: this set includes two bottles which come with two level 2 nipples designed for babies older than one month.
- Choice: if you decide to introduce the baby to the bottle sooner or even later on, the manufacturer proposes three other levels of nipples.
- Convenience: the bottles come with nipples and caps that provide on-the-go convenience.
- Compatibility: the manufacturer proposes an array of different products that are compatible with this glass baby bottle. They include a breast pump adapter, a nipple and bottle brush and also spill-proof training cups.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The caps fit loose on the bottles and can easily snap.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Finding the perfect glass baby bottle for breastfed babies is harder than it might seem. Nonetheless, due to its popularity and characteristics, we consider the Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle Gift Set the best on the market.
This gift set includes everything your baby needs for a smooth start in life. Besides the baby bottles suitable for babies from birth to toddler stage, the set also includes a set of pacifiers that will help you soothe the little one.
Regarding the bottles, they are made of pharmacy-grade borosilicate glass and are resistant to thermal shock. Moreover, the silicone nipples are free from harmful chemicals and mimic the natural breast very closely.
Another thing we like is the shape of the nipples, that is designed to reduce air intake and colic. For all these reasons, we believe that Philips Avent Natural Glass Baby Bottle is the best you can find.