Babies come with a bunch of responsibilities. As soon as they start crawling, it is essential to keep an eye on them. A pressure mounted baby gate can become your trustworthy ally at this stage for many reasons. In fact, babies can be unpredictable and you must make sure they stay away from the dangerous stairs, fireplaces, or stoves.
To learn how a pressure mounted baby gate can help you divide the various environments of your house and keep the baby safe, read on. If you just want to find the right baby gate for your bundle of joy, click on the links in the table below.
|Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate||$$$$$|
|Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate||$$$|
|Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate||$|
|Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate||$$$$|
|Regalo Easy Open 50 Inch Wide Baby Gate||$$|
- 1 Why Should You Use A Pressure Mounted Baby Gate
- 2 Baby Gate Types
- 3 How To Choose A Pressure Mounted Baby Gate
- 4 Best Pressure Mounted Baby Gate For Your Tot
- 4.1 1. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
- 4.2 2. Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate
- 4.3 3. Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
- 4.4 4. Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate
- 4.5 5. Regalo Easy Open 50 Inch Wide Baby Gate
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Why Should You Use A Pressure Mounted Baby Gate
Seeing your baby crawling and witnessing his first steps are some of the most memorable moments in the life of a parent. At this stage, parents begin to realize that the baby becomes increasingly independent. This is also the moment when the curious tot starts discovering the world around him.
The enthusiasm, however, can quickly turn into anxiety when you realize that the baby is full of energy yet unaware of all the dangers around him. For the baby, every corner of the house will become an unexplored territory that attracts him like a magnet.
Despite the attention you give to your child at this stage, we all know that is impossible to supervise a small baby constantly. For this reason, it is necessary to invest in adequate baby protection systems designed to guarantee the security and safety of your little explorer.
A system that can protect your baby without limiting his freedom is a pressure mounted baby gate, a sort of barrier that is easy to install and remove and that blocks the access of the child in specific areas or rooms. In this way, the baby will be free to move and play comfortably in complete safety.
A pressure mounted baby gate can be installed almost anywhere in the house, provided that it’s located between two walls. For example, you can place it in the staircase area, to prevent the baby from falling. You can place at the door of a room to prevent the access of the baby, and so on. In this way, you’ll be able to let the baby alone in a room without worrying about injuries.
Baby Gate Types
On the market, there are different types of baby gates but the main difference between the types is the installation mode. The installation mode determines how the gate is fixed, and we can make a distinction between two types, fixed and pressure mounted baby gates.
Fixed baby gates are mounted on the wall with screws. You will have to damage the wall to install them and they have a fixed, permanent position. This solution is suitable for those who only need to prevent the baby from accessing a determined space, such as the staircase. However, you won’t be able to change the position of the gate if needed.
Pressure mounted baby gates, on the other hand, use a pressure mechanism that fixes them between two walls or to the door frame. The pressure mechanism keeps the gate in place without damaging the wall, it is easy to install, and also easy to remove. This will allow you to move the gate wherever you want.
How To Choose A Pressure Mounted Baby Gate
In my opinion, pressure mounted baby gates are the best. If you also decided that is what you need, here is a list of things to consider before buying it.
The way the baby gate opens is one of the most important factors to consider. There are different types of openings you can choose from.
- Railing gate: opens in a way similar to a door. This is probably the most widespread type and you can choose between gates with a central door, bounded by the sides of the frame, or side doors that are bounded only on one side of the frame. Most pressure mounted baby gates have central railing gates, although there are some exceptions.
- Accordion gate: is characterized by a sliding opening mechanism that is made of a series of panels that fold like an accordion, or by a single retractable panel. Because the gate is made of panels, you won’t be able to look through the gate to check on your baby.
The baby gate must fit perfectly in your space. Make sure to choose a pressure mounted baby gate that has a suitable width. Some gates come with extensions that allow you to use them in different spaces, but make sure to check this characteristic before buying. Nevertheless, pressure mounted baby gates are generally easily adaptable.
Height is another factor to consider. The gate should be high enough to keep your baby in a certain space and prevent him from reaching the opening mechanism.
You should also consider where you want to place the baby gate. Pressure mounted baby gates are suitable to install at doorways or staircases, but I would mostly recommend them for the doorways. For a greater security, a fixed baby gate seems a more suitable solution at the top of a staircase.
Pressure mounted baby gates are usually made of steel, wood, or plastic. Plastic models usually have steel inserts that provide solidity to the structure, allowing it to support the weight of the child if needed. All these materials are usually robust, so the choice can be driven by the aesthetic factor.
Last but not least, consider the safety factor. Safety is fundamental, therefore make sure that the gate can actually keep the baby safe and secure.
You should choose a gate that you can open easily, preferably using only one hand. However, the mechanism should be located out of the reach of the baby. Try to choose a gate that is certified by the JPMA as safe for babies and that comes with a comprehensive set of mounting instructions.
Best Pressure Mounted Baby Gate For Your Tot
1. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
The Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate is a popular type of pressure mounted baby gate, certified by JPMA as safe for the babies. The gate is made of metal, is easy to install, and ideal to use either to block the access to the doorways or staircase.
The pressure mounted system allows you to change the position of the gate with ease, whenever necessary. Moreover, the gate comes with optional hardware that allows you to transform it into a fixed, wall-mounted baby gate for the staircase.Check Price on Amazon
The gate has a dual locking system and an auto-close walk-through door designed to keep the baby secured but allow easy access to the parents. The gate is easy to open with just one hand while a removable door stopper prevents it from opening towards the staircase.
The gate has an adjustable width and it accommodates openings between 28 and 48 inches. standing 36 inches tall, the gate is also suitable for infants and toddlers alike.
Things We Liked
- Auto-close: the gate closes on its own after walking through it, which is particularly convenient if you have your hands occupied.
- Walk-through: the door is easy to open by the parents with just one hand, yet designed to keep the babies safe.
- Pressure or hardware installation: you can choose whether to pressure mount the gate or fix it to the walls with screws and bolts.
- Age range: the gate is suitable for babies between 6 months and 2 years, keeping both the infants and the toddlers safe.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The baby gate is rather hard to install, especially if the wall surface is uneven.
2. Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate
Regalo Home Accents Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate is a baby gate designed for added security. The preferred choice of many parents, this baby gate stands 37 inches tall and has an opening handle that is 38 inches tall. Designed to keep both infants and toddlers safe, the gate is ideal for babies up to 2 years old.
The gate is pressure mounted and has an adjustable width that fits spaces between 29 and 44 inches. It is ideal to mount at doorways, either indoor or at terraces. However, this gate is not one of the safest to install on the top of a staircase.Check Price on Amazon
Regarding the material, the baby gate is made of hardwood and steel, it has a traditional design, and it matches wonderfully with almost all types of interior design.
The locking mechanism is easy to handle by the parents even with one hand, and the gate presents a convenient walk-through design.
Things We Liked
- Opening: the gate is adjustable and fits in spaces between 29 and 44 inches. It can be installed at doorways or between the walls of a hallway.
- Slide handle: a slide handle locks the gate automatically when pushed and it is easy to open by an adult. Located at 38 inches high, the handle is out of the reach of the babies.
- Metal frame: the baby gate is sturdy and made to last. The metal and hardwood choice is also aesthetic and suitable for all spaces.
- Extensions: the gate comes with a 4-inch and a 6-inch extension, that increase its versatility.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The gate is really hard to install and it takes a while to figure out how to secure it correctly.
3. Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate
If you are looking for a shorter pressure mounted baby gate, you can consider the Regalo Easy Step Walk Thru Gate. This gate is perfect for doorways and hallways, it is expandable, and it stands at 30 inches tall, being perfect for infants and young toddlers.
The gate has an easy to use lever handle that features a one-touch release safety lock. Thanks to this feature, the gate is able to keep the baby away from any area where you don’t want to provide access, such as the kitchen or bathroom.Check Price on Amazon
The gate is easy to install with the pressure mounts included in the package and requires minimal assembly. Nevertheless, the gate comes with a detailed sheet of instructions.
Regarding the material, the gate is made of metal and it is sturdy enough to resist any attempts of your child to pass through.
Things We Liked
- Expandable: the baby gate is suitable for doorways and hallways with a width between 29 and 39 inches.
- Safety lock: make sure your baby stays inside a determined area, thanks to the lever handle with a one-touch release safety lock.
- Sturdy: this baby gate is made to last and it can be used for both babies and pets.
- Safe: the gate is certified as safe by the ASTM and JPMA. It is designed to withstand your baby’s attempts to open it.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Standing at 30 inches tall, the gate is not suitable for tall babies.
4. Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate
Regalo Extra WideSpan Walk Through Safety Gate is an adjustable pressure mounted baby gate that comes with four pressure mounts that can be easily adjusted and tightened to create a stable and secure fit between the walls. The gate comes with wall cups that allow you to transform it into a fixed gate.
The gate boasts a steel construction that installs quickly and can be taken down just as fast. Moreover, the gate is foldable and portable, which will allow you to take it on your journeys and keep the baby safe no matter where you are.Check Price on Amazon
The gate stands 30″ tall and because door and hallway openings tend to vary, the gate was made to fit a variety of wide openings. Using the included 6”, 8” and 12” extensions, the expandable gate fits doorways between 29”-58”.
The gate’s convenient design allows adults to walk through by simply sliding the safety lock back and lifting the lever handle.
Things We Liked
- Portable: the gate is easy to install and take off whenever needed. It is foldable and transportable, allowing you to keep the baby safe everywhere.
- Extension kit: the gate comes with an extension kit that includes 6, 8, and 12-inch extensions, allowing the door to expand to fit doorways and hallways with widths between 29 and 58 inches.
- Wall cups: the gate also comes with convenient wall cups that allow you to transform it into a fixed baby gate for stairways.
- For baby and pets: the baby gate is designed for babies between 6 and 24 months and for medium to large dogs.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Stronger babies can easily push the gate down.
5. Regalo Easy Open 50 Inch Wide Baby Gate
Regalo Easy Open 50 Inch Wide Baby Gate is a baby gate designed for wide spaces and it has an extensible width that can be adjusted between 29 and 50 inches. Other than that, the gate also has many other features that make it noteworthy.
To begin with, this baby gate is made of an all-steel construction and installs quickly. It is also very easy to take off, lightweight and portable.Check Price on Amazon
The gate is pressure mounted but it also comes with all hardware to mount to the wall, making it a perfect gate for the staircase. As for the hallways and doorways, the gate has a 6” and a 12” extension included.
The gates convenient design allows adults to walk through by simply sliding the safety lock back and lifting.
Things We Liked
- Wide: the gate adjusts to widths up to 50 inches, which is great for houses with wider hallways or doorways.
- Mounting: you can choose between pressure mounting the baby gate or mount it to the wall for a more secure alternative.
- Portable: the gate is designed to travel with the baby. When on the go, just fold it and take it with you.
- Walk through: the gate has a convenient walk-through design and it is easy to open by an adult with only one hand.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The pressure mounting system doesn’t fix the gate securely. The baby can easily push it down.
Conclusion & Final Pick
The Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate is probably the best pressure mounted baby gate on the market. This gate is JPMA approved, it is safe for babies and pets, and is easy to install and take off for adults.
You’ll be able to choose between pressure mounting it or fixing the gate to the wall, which is great.
The gate also has a dual locking system and an auto-close walk-through system designed to provide maximum safety and security. Easy to open with just one hand and easily adaptable to any space, this is a pressure mounted baby gate to consider.