Swimming is one of the most exciting activities for parents and babies. It can be practiced from a really young age, and many pools even organize classes for parents and newborns. But your baby won’t be able to hold her business until you’re out of the water. That’s why investing in swim diapers is essential.
Whether you like disposable or reusable, swim diapers come in all styles and sizes. Read on to learn more about your options or, if you’re in a hurry, click on the links in the table below to check out our top picks.
|Pampers Splashers Diaper Sesame Street||$$$$$|
|i play. Baby & Toddler Reusable Swim Diaper||$$|
|Huggies Little Swimmers Disposable Swim Diapers||$$$|
|Nageuret Reusable Cloth Swim Diaper||$$$$|
|FINIS Swim Diaper||$|
Whether you’re having summertime poolside fun, hanging at the beach or take swimming classes with your baby, a swim diaper is an essential garment to have. They are designed to keep poo inside and the water uncontaminated. Some public pools even have rules that don’t allow an infant or toddler to go in the water without a swim diaper on.
When it comes to choices, swim diapers are similar to traditional diapers in that they come in disposable and reusable versions. But besides this, what’s the difference between them? Is one choice best than the other?
- 1 Disposable Vs. Reusable Swim Diapers
- 2 Which Swim Diapers To Choose?
- 3 How To Choose Swim Diapers
- 4 Best Disposable & Reusable Swim Diapers
- 4.1 1. Pampers Splashers Diaper Sesame Street
- 4.2 2. i play. Baby & Toddler Reusable Swim Diaper
- 4.3 3. Huggies Little Swimmers Disposable Swim Diapers
- 4.4 4. Nageuret Reusable Cloth Swim Diaper
- 4.5 5. FINIS Swim Diaper
- 5 Conclusion & Final Pick
Disposable Vs. Reusable Swim Diapers
Disposable Swim Diapers
At a first glance, disposable diapers may seem like a great solution. They are lightweight, easy to fit in a diaper bag, easy to put on, and you’ll just have to throw them away when soiled. But when it comes to swimming, disposable may not be the best solution.
Disposable swim diapers absorb more water than their reusable counterparts, they get saggy, and are actually harder to put on and take off due to a pull-on design. Depending on the child’s age and level of cooperation, this process, in fact, can get tricky.
It’s also tricky to put on a new diaper if the baby is still wet or if you just applied sticky sunscreen.
Disposable swim diapers also have a poor performance on retaining poo for a long time. They may be ideal for 30-minute swims, but not so great if you’re planning to spend all day at the beach.
Reusable Swim Diapers
Reusable diapers, on the other hand, are made of cloth and are lined with an impermeable liner. Their design is very similar to the traditional cloth diapers and they usually close with snaps or Velcro straps. This makes it easier to put them on, but above all, easier to take off once soiled.
Reusable swim diapers are not designed to absorb liquids but to retain solid matter. However, pee is usually retained inside the diaper until you change it. Although chlorine does an excellent job in neutralizing pee, it’s still nicer to know your baby’s dejections won’t end in the water.
As for the poo retention, reusable diapers perform an exceptional job. The impermeable liner keeps everything inside until you take the diaper off, preventing the spread of E. coli and other harmful bacteria.
Which Swim Diapers To Choose?
Although reusable swim diapers come with a few more advantages, choosing a type over another is often a matter of preference. If you’re looking for the right swim diapers to take your baby to swimming classes, a disposable diaper can do just fine.
Reusable diapers are more indicated during the summer; by choosing reusable you can save money and will be able to enjoy a hassle-free time at the pool or beach.
However, once back home, you’ll have to wash the reusable diapers which may or may not be convenient depending on circumstances.
Ultimately, just choose the swim diapers you like best, considering your swimming habits and frequency of use.
How To Choose Swim Diapers
As mentioned above, the two styles available on the market are disposable and reusable. We recommend disposable swim diapers for weekly fun at the pool, if your session doesn’t exceed half an hour. In this case, you can simply change the baby after the session, throw the diaper in the bin and continue with your daily activities without carrying a wet and soiled diaper in your bag.
If you’re going on vacation or planning to spend a whole summer day by the pool, we recommend reusable diapers. They are easier to put on and retain dejections more efficiently than their disposable counterparts.
Reusable diapers are also more cost-effective. You can invest in two or three diapers and simply wash them when soiled. This reduces waste and allows you to spend your money wiser.
Like all diapers, swim diapers come in various sizes. You can follow the same sizing indications available for normal diapers and choose the right ones suitable for the age, weight, and length of your baby.
Reusable diapers are usually equipped with Velcro straps or adjustable snaps and most of them can be used for both babies and toddlers, by simply tightening or loosening them as needed.
Environment wise, reusable swim diapers are better. You’ll be able to reduce waste and your baby’s diapers will have a lower impact on the environment.
Yet again, if you only plan to use a swim diaper once a week for a half-an-hour swimming session, disposable swim diapers are more comfortable to use.
As a side note, make sure to check the swim diaper regulations at your pool. Some facilities have a clear policy about what swim diapers should be used, due to the high costs of cleaning the water from feces.
Best Disposable & Reusable Swim Diapers
1. Pampers Splashers Diaper Sesame Street
Pampers Splashers are the most popular disposable swim diapers available on the market. Designed for pool and beach fun, these diapers are designed to prevent excessive water absorption, they don’t swell too much in water and are comfortable to wear either dry or wet.
With a 360° stretchy waistband, the diapers fit like regular baby swimwear; the diapers are easy to put on a dry baby. However, it’s trickier to change a wet baby that cries for getting back in the water as soon as possible.
The design also includes a Dual Leak-Guard barrier that snugs around baby’s legs to contain all mess. The sides are easy to tear for a quick and hassle-free removal.
Coming in various sizes that fit babies from birth to youth, these disposable swim diapers have attractive patterns inspired by famous cartoon characters. Our choice is inspired by Sesame Street characters and fit babies between 16 and 34lbs.Check Latest Price
Things We Liked
- Count: this diaper pack contains 24 swim diapers and delivers a great value for money. The diapers are ideal to use on many occasions.
- Leak barrier: engineered to prevent accidental leaks, the diapers come with a Dual Leak-Guard barrier that helps contain messes.
- Easy-Tear sides: Pampers Splashers are designed to make diaper removal quick and easy by simply tearing the sides when a change is needed.
- Swimwear design: the diapers boast an all-around stretchy waistband that fits the garment on the baby like a swimsuit bottom.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The pull-up style is quite hard to fit on a wet baby, and the diapers are scented.
2. i play. Baby & Toddler Reusable Swim Diaper
If the reusable swim diapers inspired you, a product that promises a lot is i play. Baby & Toddler Reusable Swim Diaper. The manufacturer proposes a wide range of baby and toddler swim diapers that come either in solid colors or in gender-specific models and patterns.
What all i play. products have in common is the three-layer protection designed to keep the baby comfortable outside of the water and the water clean if accidents happen inside the pool. In fact, most swim diapers are not designed to retain liquids, except for the i play.
These reusable swim diapers have an interior layer designed to protect baby’s skin from diaper rash, while the middle layer retains liquids inside the diaper if incidents happen on the way to the pool or beach. The outer layer seals all messes inside the diaper, preventing poo from getting in the water.Check Latest Price
The diapers are also very easy to put on thanks to the snap design. The fabric is resistant and machine washable; however, the garment can’t be tumble dried.
Things We Liked
- Style: these swim diapers are similar to traditional baby swimsuits; the outer shell boasts bright colors or attractive patterns suitable for boys and girls.
- Snap closure: the reusable diapers are easy to put on and take off thanks to a convenient snap closure.
- Snug fit: the diaper is designed to contain solid matter and has a snug fit design around baby’s legs. The model is approved by most pools.
- Economical: high-quality material resistant to wear and tear can be used and reused for multiple times. This minimizes waste and saves you money in the long run.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Sizes are a bit on the small side. It’s recommended to get this reusable swim diaper in a larger size.
3. Huggies Little Swimmers Disposable Swim Diapers
Available in three sizes, Huggies Little Swimmers represent an excellent alternative to Pampers disposable swim diapers. Featuring inspiring designs in pink and blue colors, the diapers are loved by both babies and parents.
Disney and Pixar characters will enhance swimming for your baby, while the stretchy sides and snug fit design will retain solid matter helping you avoid embarrassing accidents in the pool. The unique absorbent material won’t swell in the water and the product is easy to put on and take off.Check Latest Price
In fact, the diapers have easy-to-open sides that allow a quick and easy change whenever needed. The special leak guards also improve liquid retention when the baby’s not in the pool. Like all swim diapers, these products are not designed to retain liquids but will prevent a mess until you take the diaper off.
Suitable for both babies and toddlers, the diapers come in various sizes and purchase options. Our choice contains 12 diapers suitable for babies between 16 and 26lbs.
Things We Liked
- Fun patterns: available in pink and blue colors, Huggies Little Swimmers feature Disney and Pixar characters that attract babies and toddlers.
- Easy take-off: changing the diaper is easy thanks to the tear-away seems. The stretchy sides ensure a comfortable fit.
- Snug-fit: designed to retain solid matter and some liquids, the diapers are provided with special leak-guards.
- Indicating label: there is no hassle in figuring out which way these diapers go on the baby, thanks to the label indicating the back.
Things We Didn’t Like
- You can’t choose the characters or colors; solid matter retention is not the best.
4. Nageuret Reusable Cloth Swim Diaper
Nageuret Reusable Cloth Swim Diaper is an innovative product designed for babies from birth to youth. Its adjustable sizing makes the product ideal for babies from newborn to size 5 while the superior quality of the materials makes it very resistant to wear and tear.
Equipped with CPSIA-tested snaps, the diaper adjusts around the waist and legs, providing a snug-fit to babies of all ages.
The outer shell is made of a soft and breathable waterproof polyester fabric that retains some liquids and solid messes. Easy to clean once soiled, the diaper is machine washable; moreover, the inside is lined with a comfortable polyester mesh that prevents diaper rash.
Environmentally friendly, the diaper comes with a 1-year money-back guarantee. If something happens to your diaper during this period, you’ll get both a refund and a new swim diaper in the style of your choice.Check Latest Price
Things We Liked
- Style: this swim diaper comes in three styles suitable for both boys and girls. The product is adjustable and fits babies from birth to youth.
- Environmentally friendly: manufactured by a small company in Colorado, this reusable diaper is sustainable, washable, and environmentally friendly.
- Adjustable: the diaper is designed to fit growing babies and has three rows of snaps in the leg and in the waist areas.
- Guarantee: standing for the quality of its products, the manufacturer offers a 1-year money-back guarantee and a free diaper if something happens to the diaper you purchased during this time.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The quality is great but the snaps look funny and give an awkward touch to the design.
5. FINIS Swim Diaper
FINIS Swim Diaper is an affordable yet high-quality reusable swim diaper suitable for babies and toddlers. The product is available in various sizes that fit babies from 0 to 48 months or between 9 and 45lbs.
Coming in various styles suitable for boys and girls, the diaper is made of high-quality material that is chlorine-resistant. At the same time, the product is machine washable and the polyester fabric resists discolorations.
A thing we don’t like is the size which is on the small side. Another slight drawback is the design. This swim diaper has a pull-on design and dressing a restless toddler can easily become a challenge.
Apart from this, FINIS is a good quality reusable diaper ideal for the parents looking for budget-friendly yet cute solutions.Check Latest Price
Things We Liked
- Designs: these diapers come in nine designs that are either gender-specific or gender-neutral. You can also choose between patterns and solid colors.
- Sizes: although on the small side, the sizes can fit babies from birth up to about 48 months old.
- Fabric: the synthetic fabric is engineered to prevent leaks and retain solid matter inside when accidents happen in the pool.
- Fit: the snug fit design is approved by most pools; the diaper fits perfectly around the baby’s legs and waist.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The swim diaper is difficult to put on a restless baby. Things are even worse if the baby is wet.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Because we’re a fan of environmentally friendly and cost-effective solutions, our favorite swim diapers for infants and toddlers are i play. Baby & Toddler Reusable Swim Diapers. Coming in an array of patterned or solid color designs, these swim diapers boast three layers of protection and are designed to keep the baby comfortable both inside and outside of the pool.
The product, in fact, is designed to retain liquid when the baby is outside of the pool and to keep messes inside the diaper when the baby is in the water.
The inside liner is also designed to protect baby’s skin from the diaper rash, while the outer shell has long-lasting colors that won’t fade in time.
With side snaps that provide comfort and peace of mind, these diapers are exceptional and they come in a wide range of sizes. Undoubtedly, you should consider these swim diapers for your pool or beach summer fun.